Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Spotify integration  (Read 4671 times)

krrrn

• View Profile
Spotify integration
« on: August 28, 2021, 10:34:13 PM »
This would be such an amazing feature to have... if I could connect my Spotify account to WACUP and play songs/search songs directly from the client I wouldn't need to open the Spotify client ever again!! Everything in one place.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Spotify integration
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2021, 11:09:36 PM »
Just a shame there's no official library to use (they don't like desktop clients) & turning this into a spotify wrapper I know some want but it somewhat feels like doing the completely wrong thing for a dedicated media player within the streaming-centric world that we're now in. I honestly don't know if it's something I'll do as I've already procrastinated over it for almost 5 years & I've still never used spotify to know what its experience is even like. spotiamb is the best option I think (despite being an abandoned custom project from them) to have a winamp classic skin themed spotify controller app.

-dro
« Last Edit: August 28, 2021, 11:10:43 PM by dro »

krrrn

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2021, 01:35:03 AM »
spotiamb is the best option I think (despite being an abandoned custom project from them) to have a winamp classic skin themed spotify controller app.

-dro
Despite the security issues with spotiamb (I pay for Spotify after all, it would be pretty bad to have my login info compromised), I have tried spotiamb and while being functional it's so outdated... you can't play/access your Liked songs, search is broken, album art is broken... it's just broken!! Please consider Spotify integration, I'm sure it's possible what with the Spotify API... also, if it's a matter of keeping the "integrity" of winamp you can make it optional so it doesn't even have to be there for people that don't want the functionality  :)
« Last Edit: August 29, 2021, 01:36:48 AM by krrrn »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2021, 01:55:49 AM »
My understanding is what spotiamb offers is equivalent to the massively deprecated libspotify that was the official way for desktop clients to get playback access. I know there's librespot which is a 3rd party library that only works with premium accounts & I assume it probably does more of the newer things than spotiamb/libspotify offered but I honestly don't know from not using it.

The aspect which I'm not sure about with the 3rd party option is whether it allows the audio to go through the WACUP core or if it's all self-contained & doing it's own thing (which I'd somewhat expect it to do due to DRM/licensing). I'd have to do it as a plug-in whatever was done though for now I really just need to get rid of the Winamp core dependency as it's making doing other things so much harder whilst I know I need to think about new things that would make WACUP more appealing vs just using other players.

-dro

krrrn

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2021, 02:11:12 AM »
I don't know much about this stuff, but for example I know Spotify can work on Kodi music player through a plugin, so if it's possible there maybe it can work on WACUP too? Maybe consider getting the 3 month free trial of Spotify to look into this more  :)

limbo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2021, 06:10:00 PM »
I don't know if I'm late news to this conversation but I'm using an old program (discontinued) called Spotiamp [https://web.archive.org/web/20141208232737/http://spotiamp.com/] which works with Spotify and loads playlists from the Spotify account.

Interesting feature is that this player supports a shoutcast server as well, but I'm not able to get this stream to WACUP... 
Obviously this project was based on Winamp.
I don't know how much workload will be to create a plugin for WACUP though. Maybe @dro can answer this.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 06:27:32 PM by limbo »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2021, 01:42:34 PM »
Obviously this project was based on Winamp.
It didn't use anything from Winamp & an incomplete portion of the source code for it was released - it wasn't released with the internal library that spotify used along with something else iirc which for the most part made it an ultimately pointless source code release.

libspotify & librespot are the only possible options that I'm aware of (the first one one is massively deprecated as I've mentioned previously) but as not being a spotify user (never actually used it) I don't know how well trying to integrate such support would even go with it more likely end up that it'd just make WACUP be a glorified controller than actually doing the proper playback. I know I probably need to look into this but it also feels at odds with WACUP being more aimed towards working with a local library of files.

-dro

Zignature

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2023, 08:01:31 PM »
It's been a while since the last post in this topic but I would love to be able to add songs from Spotify to my playlist