Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: How to Export OLD WinAmp database and import to WACUP ?  (Read 3257 times)

Vaako

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
How to Export OLD WinAmp database and import to WACUP ?
« on: February 17, 2020, 06:39:50 PM »
Hi everyone,

Can someone explain how to Export OLD WinAmp database and import it to WACUP ?

Thanks in advance !
Regards, Vaako

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: How to Export OLD WinAmp database and import to WACUP ?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 01:38:29 AM »
It depends on whether you're wanting to replace an existing install (which is the ultimate goal for WACUP) or if you're wanting to run things side-by-side on the same machine.

If the latter then the basics are main.dat, main.idx & all of the views folder within the Plugins\ml folder of the Winamp settings folder. However there's also information in gen_ml.ini that is needed but a copy+paste of that file isn't always a safe thing to do as it can & will mess up the settings for other plug-ins depending on how far you've customised things.

Alternatively there's the backup tool but that itself will bring some other issues as it will revert some of the intentional WACUP settings changes (needed to alleviate some issues). So I probably need to implement a more appropriate 'import' mode to take in things from an existing Winamp install if not installing over that existing install (that is the scenario where the backup tool will work best so you can more easily roll back if needed).

-dro

Vaako

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 03:07:36 PM »
So in fact I can use the old WinAmp side by side withoutr issues ?

Than the best way for me now is wait till a proper import feature is build into WACUP.

Thanks for your help !
Regards, Vaako

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 03:19:03 PM »
Yup, Winamp & WACUP can exist fine side-by-side as that makes it easier for testing, etc. Its why WACUP in the beta / preview builds acts like a portable install to help remove the potential of conflict that can occur.

Alternatively you can just do a normal import scan of the files needed into the WACUP install as you would do with Winamp. As I'm not planning on doing an import mode until the replacement local library plug-in is more feature complete so the Nullsoft provided ml_local can be dropped along with the stability issues that it has.

-dro
« Last Edit: February 18, 2020, 03:21:39 PM by dro »