Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Ogg Vorbis Freezing + Fix (Windows 10 / 11)  (Read 905 times)

TrashCat

• View Profile
Ogg Vorbis Freezing + Fix (Windows 10 / 11)
« on: January 17, 2024, 02:19:54 PM »
Hello, I have been using Winamp for a fair number of years but I installed WACUP when I became aware of it. I made a forum account soon after discovering this.

At some point past the new year I lost the ability to play .OGG files on WACUP without it instantly freezing. After some digging it seems that a January 2024 update for windows 10 / 11 has caused .OGG files to freeze file explorer if renamed or deleted.

After uninstalling "Web Media Extensions" and restarting my PC, all playback problems have been resolved, this will also fixed windows explorer crashing. This will prevent the default Media Player from being able to play OGG files, however this is likely the best solution until Microsoft Fix the issue themselves.

I hope this helps anyone having issues with OGG playback on Windows.

Wikipedia article for Opus; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opus_(audio_format)#Operating_system_support

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
Re: Ogg Vorbis Freezing + Fix (Windows 10 / 11)
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2024, 03:26:41 PM »
Yeah, I ran into the same problem renaming .OPUS files causing Windows Explorer to freeze.  MP3Tag would also freeze for awhile if I tried to update the meta tags in them.  I also ended up uninstalling the "Web Media Extensions" app which solved the issues.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2024, 03:27:35 PM by MarkRH »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Ogg Vorbis Freezing + Fix (Windows 10 / 11)
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2024, 03:43:00 PM »
This is likely exacerbating a couple of bugs within the WACUP builds from the past 6 months or so where the Ogg based formats aren't correctly setting up the file access on accessing them & also aren't correctly releasing the handles to them which along with what that OS extension (though happens without it present) seems to be a worst case scenario. There are fixes for the bugs I could replicate within my own handling, no idea how it might work with that OS extension as I've not installed it.

-dro