Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Bug when switching skins in Preview v1.99.11.18916  (Read 948 times)

Darkhell

• View Profile
Re: Bug when switching skins in Preview v1.99.11.18916
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2024, 03:39:46 AM »
I'm using v1.99.12.18980 x86 too, currently for troubleshoot purposes i've renamed the WACUP folder that is created in "C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming" su when open wacup again a new WACUP folder is created there with all default settings, so no custom skin path, just the default one with the skins that comes with wacup; respect to the file/folder name, the next letters that work (behavior is a little different depending on if is a folder or a file) are, for 2nd letter a,b,c,d,e,f,g,h (i, j, k, etc appear to not trigger the problem) ;for 3rd one i'm not really sure (maybe 3rd, 4th,.. letters are not really relevant), but for example:

If i put a file "bet.txt" then can't load big bento, if rename the file to "bat.txt" then big bento works and now bento doesn't load.

If i put 2 files at the same time, "bat" and "bet", then can't load bento neither big bento

Respect to the .ini file i mean the "winamp.ini" on "C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\WACUP", the line "skin=" points to the applied skin, if bento is selected then the ini shows "Skin=Bento", if i trigger the problem with file "bat.txt" then wacup writes the value of skin as trigger file/folder name, in this case bat.txt so in ini it looks as "skin=bat.txt"; as far as i've observed studio.xnf data is irrelevant for this bug

i attach my ini file; just in case, i'm on win11 23H2 build 22631.327 with latest .NET Framework 3.5 y 4.8.1 para Windows 11, version 23H2 para x64 (KB5036620)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2024, 07:02:56 PM »
Hi dro,

Interesting info. My Windows Explorer file manager lists all folders and files in alphabetical order, but the OS doesn't usually return them to WACUP in that order.

In the preferences Skins - Manager Settings - Skins Menu section, I have only selected the "Alphabetically sort the menu entries", "Ignore the information WACUP provides ..." and "Do not show empty / invalid skins ..." options. I've also selected the "Big Bento Modern" choice in the "Prefer" drop down box. However I get consistant, but unexpected results, that I have gotten used to. The classic skins are not listed in alphabetical order. The modern skins are listed in two groops. 7 of the skins I use that come with the installation package are listed at the top in non-alphabetical order. The other 9 are 3rd party and are listed in alphabetical order (below the 1st group).

I have also disabled the "Use the orginal skin selection ..." option in the Skin Browser section. I couldn't select skins in the main Skins tab's skin browser until I disabled that option. All 26 of the additional classic and modern skins I use, are listed in alphabetical order in the skin browser, with the default built-in classic skin at the top. Thank you for adding the folder icon next to names for skins that are in folders. Since I put all my modern skins in folders, it makes it easy for me to tell modern from classic skins.

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 07:46:43 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2024, 07:25:11 PM »

If i put a file "bet.txt" then can't load big bento, if rename the file to "bat.txt" then big bento works and now bento doesn't load.

I've tried this. Putting (non-zero)  text files with those name in my skins folder (which has the default name and location) after a shutdown. After a restart it made no difference, I'm still able to select and switch among all 27 (including the default built in classic) of my skins.

It seems to be something about the way you have installed and/or are using WACUP that is the problem, instead of WACUP itself. I'm probably wrong and you have found a needle in a haystack. I do that a lot.  :)

« Last Edit: May 05, 2024, 07:52:58 PM by Aminifu »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2024, 11:00:01 PM »
It's likely how I'm mapping the skin file / folder to a menu item index
It was that but not quite as I first thought. The problem is that it's adding invalid items (e.g. empty folders or non-skin files) into the internal list which shouldn't have been happening & when there's mostly no other skins than the default skins it ends up using the wrong entry due to it finding them before the default skins when the a/b naming aspect is involved.

The alphabetical order is somewhat involved but the default skins per the skin manager prefs page also note those are excluded from the default alphabetical sorting & with the invalid item in that list it skews the mappings & so the wrong skin gets used.

tl;dr: needed to move 1 line of code to after some skin validation checks were done.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2024, 11:57:58 PM »
So it is a real bug in the code. I assume selecting one or both of the "Ignore the information WACUP provides ..." and "Do not show empty / invalid skins ..." options protects me from the error.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #20 on: May 07, 2024, 12:14:49 AM »
It is & those options won't help as the issue arises before any of that is run. The number & names of the skins found is also what made it more obvious with a default install & no other skins being the reliable way to replicate it against what was shown in the video of the issue.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 07, 2024, 03:37:55 AM »
Hi Darkhell,

JFI, I'm using the same OS files as you except my OS Build is 22631.3447. Anyway the OS has nothing to do with the bug. Dro has explained why I didn't replicate the issue. I'm glad you found that needle in the haystack.  :)

Observations like yours are making WACUP more and more robust.

Darkhell

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2024, 07:10:24 PM »
Thanks to both for taking the time to look into this, best wishes for both, have a good day