Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Default Portable installation directory  (Read 2950 times)

Mits

• View Profile
Default Portable installation directory
« on: May 21, 2020, 03:42:20 PM »
80% of all the software I am using is Portable (even commercial apps). This is the only way to keep the OS as clean as possible.

Since the advent of PortableApps.com, the default directory for installing these is C:\PortableApps. Therefore, it would be very convenient if the suggested Wacup portable installation folder was C:\PortableApps\WACUP\ or C:\PortableApps\WACUPportable\, because a) all portable apps users use this folder and b) it's time consuming to browse manually to that dir every time a new build gets released.

The installer would just have to check for the existence of C:\PortableApps and offer to install there (and possibly offer a prompt to create the directory for first-time users).

Thank you for all the efforts in developing Wacup, I see that the bug hunting has accelerated significantly during these quarantined weeks... Bravo!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Default Portable installation directory
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2020, 06:55:33 PM »
My issue with changing it to default to use the PortableApps folder if found (doing it if not found seems wrong as I'll explain) is that the WACUP portable install is not a PortableApps style install & so imho it doesn't really make sense to put in there as that then implies expectations of following what PortableApps do for things & that's just not what WACUP can do in its current state with its reliance upon the Winamp 5.666 redux installer to get a number of files it needs.

If putting non-PortableApps programs in there is done by others then I'll consider changing the installer to support it but I've given my reason not to at this time.

You mention about having to change the folder, if you use the built-in WACUP update mode then it shouldn't require you to choosing the folder when updating as that's provided to the installer so it can update correctly. There is a thread in the preview forum that details what command-line options are available if you want to script the update yourself. Also the NSIS installer allows for auto-complete on the directory field so just typing c:\p should show a dropdown with the wanted folder more easily than using the browse option.

-dro

Mits

• View Profile
Re: Default Portable installation directory
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2020, 12:13:48 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response. To be honest, I never tried to update Wacup from within the program itself because I thought the feature wasn't implemented yet (sorry!). The auto-complete feature in the installer is wonderful... thanks a lot!

Regarding the PortableApps directory, all programs I use that don't have an installer (even if they are not portable in the strict sense i.e. nothing written to the registry) are getting in there. I fully understand your position on the matter and I also think being careful is never wrong.