Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: What's your preference on keeping versions up-to-date ?  (Read 33070 times)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: What's your preference on keeping versions up-to-date ?
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2017, 06:44:39 PM »
Is a tricky one... my preferences would be:
- No auto update without user's consent (but it could have an option to set it like that)
- No expire date (as Pawel said: "There may be resons that user stick with specified version") * .
- Do warn there is another version when it comes out and / or at certain periods of time (every 2 o 3 weeks, etc -with option to turn this warn off-).

* Besides, giving the option to the user to update or stay (because of x issue implemented by a newer version), can leverage the developer of having to consider a EVERY POSSIBLE scenario and focus on the most important issues / bugs.
At least if I get things wrong it wasn't just my decision as the rough ideas I had in my mind would have needed some tweaking based on the feedback received so far :)

The one thing that is floating around my mind is whether trying to keep things ok for all is going to possibly make for a more complicated settings page for the updating options than would be done. As the native option was just a check box, a window that appeared and it required manual interaction.

Whereas I can already envisage a few checkboxes (for overall checking and sub-levels) and a few dropdown options (for update intervals or how to handle a new update) but then on actually trying to implement things it might slim down to not much (I think I'm possibly over thinking things at the moment).

At least having the overall update action on by default (if only to notify of a new update) seems to be a general consensus so far.

-dro

Pawel

• View Profile
    • Pawel Porwisz
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2017, 03:19:47 PM »
if you don't update in that two weeks, then the version you are using is disabled.

Very bad idea!

I'm full of bad ideas. It's my trademark.

I think you are not. You have got plenty of great ideas, don't you?
And one (disabling WACUP without user approve) not so good :)

-Pawel

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2017, 07:39:50 PM »
I think Betas should auto-update, but the stable versions should backup any replaced files if they do not wait for interaction.
Unlike the increasingly common habit for keeping people in the dark, I think you should make a point of showing the updates, versioning and progress, so that even in full-auto mode users are kept in the loop.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2017, 09:54:19 PM »
My 1 Cent:

1.  Notify User that an update is available.
1a.  Show text of notification of what is updated
1b.  Version and info
2.  Slipstream the download (w/ option to disable)
3.  Load new Version || Ask To Be Notified (Updates)

:) 

Owner 1001skins.com | Developer WMC/WCL

tapi0

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2017, 04:53:01 PM »
I think there should be atleast notification for update and link to update.
For myself I would like auto update. Though that could be disable from options.
Windows 7 + Winamp 5.666 Build 3516 / WACUP 1.0.4.4026

Gamergeek

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 08, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »
I think every so often that the way to keep winamp up to date is for the users to report on bugs with the current version, and with the feedback from users fix the issues with an updated version of the software.

TheKeeper

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2017, 04:43:09 PM »
My preference would be by default to show a notification of an update with a "skip this version" option.  As an option, allow for do not check for updates.  Never force a new version upon a user.

thx1881

• 2 was good, 3 was bad, 5 is better. Winamp4never.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 07:42:55 AM »
IMHO, Beta should not have auto update. It is for testing purpose and testing only it be until the full version is released. Clean install for release version.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2017, 03:18:24 AM »
IMHO, Beta should not have auto update. It is for testing purpose and testing only it be until the full version is released. Clean install for release version.
How would beta testing an auto update feature work if you don't have it in the beta to test it ?
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2017, 09:51:34 PM »
IMHO, Beta should not have auto update. It is for testing purpose and testing only it be until the full version is released.
There's arguments for both sides of whether to auto-update a beta build or not but seems to be more so on the side that it's ok (with opt-out) for betas and then the opposite for release (opt-in by default). But when it comes to betas, having things kept on a recent set of builds is more beneficial and is why the potential to auto-update a beta (within reason) is more appropriate and is part of the reason why the beta builds eventually expire as a build from october 2016 is no use to me to get feedback about when we're into builds from april 2017.

Hope that makes sense and whatever is finally decided upon (which I'll need to work on it sooner rather than later) will within reason allow for opting out but the expiry nature will be maintained for the beta builds due to my reasoning above and by agreeing to beta test builds I hope it makes sense why such things are done (if only to try to make things a bit easier for me).

Clean install for release version.
This is an interesting comment as I can see both sides of the fence when it comes to that point. Yes it's probably better to have a beta and a release install (for when we get to that point in time). However as WACUP becomes more mature I can also see the need to have separate installs being less important so one install that's used for everything could be feasible (which is how one of my dev+test build installs ends up being) since sometimes real usage can show up things that don't happen in a specific 'clean' install.

I've made my suggestions to the beta testers for the time being that it makes sense to install WACUP separately to any existing Winamp install but as the overall aim is for it to be able to be installed over the top of an existing Winamp install and 'just work' then there are going to be times where a clean vs separate install setup isn't going to help when it comes to the testing of things. Plus as everyone likes to do things in slightly different ways, that variety in how installs are done has been helpful (especially in the earlier WACUP beta builds) to catch issues that wouldn't have been seen until much later in the development phase where the changes that were needed would have been more painful to make compared to when they ended up being made.

But definitely how to test things is an interesting area of topic and as 100% coverage is impossible imho, sometimes just doing what people naturally do often works out the things that wouldn't be found via a more formalised process (which itself has it's benefits).

-dro

dEMolite

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2017, 11:31:03 PM »
My preference is like what Valve or other companies have done.

The steam like version would be that a popup would come when a new version is available with a changelog attached to read and two buttons(Install/Update or close)

A worst example is blizzard with the battlenet app, where you get a popup on when a new version is available. You can press install or close. if you press install it updates it. if you press close the programm shutsfull down.

Or another prefered way of mine is what Mozilla had done. A use time check like above companies did and a self check for updates under the about window.

----
In the end it is a hard question to solve since you can't make everybody happy with it. Some would like to check the developers site for new updates to install. Others would like to have an auto check.

Even others would like to have a full installer which is making a full install everytime.

Trosty

• Swift & Bold
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2017, 03:18:57 PM »
I like the auto update feature with the options of:

a.  check box - automatically check for updates to Winamp.
b   check box - enable silent background updates.

Works fine for me.

BennyD

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2017, 12:16:04 PM »
I have no preference whatsoever.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2017, 11:59:38 AM »
No preference is a preference ;)

-dro

dim.mak

• Sith Lord
  • Sith Lord. Tech. Gamer. Hacktivist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2017, 11:00:13 PM »
Auto-update has value.  Have a current version, and keep a previous version as backup.