Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Lyrics and Album Art plugins  (Read 4770 times)

mattdm11

• View Profile
Lyrics and Album Art plugins
« on: June 27, 2021, 05:24:01 AM »
I have known about Wacup for a while, but I have not switched to it.  Attached is a screenshot of my Winamp setup.....I have tried, and I am not able to get the lyrics or album art plugins to work properly (and my memory is the album art plugin isn't 100% functional anyway, as it somewhat distorts the image, but I still use it).  The plugins I am talking about are both on the far right and were developed as third party plugins.

Anyway, bottom line, is it possible to get these two plugins to work?  If so, I'd love to make the switch.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:25:38 AM by mattdm11 »

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Lyrics and Album Art plugins
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2021, 05:42:41 AM »
There is no way to get WACUP specific plugins to work under a plain Winamp install.
What's preventing you from switching to WACUP?

There are Album Art and a lyrics plugin already included in WACUP, if that's what you mean
« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 05:44:11 AM by Eris Lund »
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

mattdm11

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2021, 05:53:23 AM »
There is no way to get WACUP specific plugins to work under a plain Winamp install.
What's preventing you from switching to WACUP?

There are Album Art and a lyrics plugin already included in WACUP, if that's what you mean

OK....they look like the ones in my photo?  I have not found them, are they installed with the program or separate plugins?

mattdm11

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2021, 05:56:55 AM »
this is what I see when I use Wacup.  The album art is in the background of the lyrics.  The lyrics don't populate.  And the album art is not the plugin I am looking for (I know both Winamp and Wacup have album art but it shows up under the playlist, which I don't want, because that makes my media library windows smaller.

mattdm11

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2021, 05:58:43 AM »
Screenshot of the album art showing.....again, see how the media library is smaller.  So I don't want to use that album art, I want the specific plugin, if that makes sense.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2021, 10:53:01 PM »
Hi mattdm11,

IN WACUP, album art may be displayed in many different ways depending on the modern skin being used. The provided Album Art v1.11 plug-in (gen_classicart.dll) provides a separate resizable window for use with classic skins. Disable this plug-in's "Lock aspect ratio" option to prevent distortion of the image.

It appears you're using the Big Bento modern skin. It allows album art to be displayed in either or both of 2 different places. It allows album art to be displayed in the window pane that you are using to display the equalizer. If you don't need the equalizer to be displayed all the time, then I suggest you switch back and forth as needed. I also suggest you try the Big Bento Modern Windows 10 edition. It provides a third way of displaying album art.

The sharpness of all album art displayed depends on the resolution of the image and the resolution of your monitor. I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and need to use images that are at least 600 x 600.

The provided Lyrics v1.2 plug-in (gen_lyrics.dll) provides a separate resizable window for use with classic and modern skins. Album art is used as the background in this window and the plug-in's "Lock aspect ratio" option should also be disable to prevent distortion of the image. This plug-in does not search for or display lyrics from online sources.  For now, it works using either lyrics metadata in the audio file or an appropriate local file.

Many Winamp plug-ins work with WACUP with no problems and some require updating to work properly. Dro is willing to provide the updating when possible.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2021, 11:16:38 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2021, 06:50:35 PM »
I have no luck with Lyrics v1.2 either. Until DrO fixes it, you can use Lyrics Plugin v0.4 (gen_lyricsplugin.dll) instead. Uncheck Lyrics v1.2 in Options > Preferences > General purpose plug-ins before installing Lyrics Plugin v0.4.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2021, 08:55:14 PM »
No luck in what respect? It's been made clear that my solution doesn't currently do online look-up because the options are somewhat limited on getting something (more about it can be found in https://getwacup.com/community/index.php?topic=669.0). Also the 2 known existing 3rd party plug-ins have issues of their own - one throws SSL errors (unless that's been resolved) & the other recently shut it's website after effectively being abandoned a few years prior.

As for this thread in general, I don't get what is trying to be reported as not working as looking at the screenshots, the selection of things in the library view vs what's set to play & the selection within the playlist seem to match to my expectations. So I'd appreciate some clarification on what the actual issue being reported is please.

Unless there's an expectation that what's selected in the local library views is going to drive what's seen elsewhere? If so then that's not how Winamp nor the modern skins or the local library plug-in are coded to work vs what's currently active within the main playlist editor (which is what determines most aspects of what'll be seen when using a modern skin as is what the screenshot shows is being used).

-dro
« Last Edit: June 28, 2021, 09:08:18 PM by dro »

ariszlo

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2021, 06:43:01 AM »
No luck in what respect? It's been made clear that my solution doesn't currently do online look-up because the options are somewhat limited on getting something (more about it can be found in https://getwacup.com/community/index.php?topic=669.0).

Sorry, I missed that thread. I can understand that you cannot include a plugin with potential ToS issues.

mattdm11

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2021, 02:28:01 PM »
No luck in what respect? It's been made clear that my solution doesn't currently do online look-up because the options are somewhat limited on getting something (more about it can be found in https://getwacup.com/community/index.php?topic=669.0). Also the 2 known existing 3rd party plug-ins have issues of their own - one throws SSL errors (unless that's been resolved) & the other recently shut it's website after effectively being abandoned a few years prior.

As for this thread in general, I don't get what is trying to be reported as not working as looking at the screenshots, the selection of things in the library view vs what's set to play & the selection within the playlist seem to match to my expectations. So I'd appreciate some clarification on what the actual issue being reported is please.

Unless there's an expectation that what's selected in the local library views is going to drive what's seen elsewhere? If so then that's not how Winamp nor the modern skins or the local library plug-in are coded to work vs what's currently active within the main playlist editor (which is what determines most aspects of what'll be seen when using a modern skin as is what the screenshot shows is being used).

-dro

Sorry, I'm not understanding your question.  My original screenshot is of Winamp, which I use now.  I use it because the two boxes on the far right, lyrics, and album art, which are both plugins, do not work with Wacup.  I'm asking is there a plugin that works so I can make the switch to Wacup?  Am I doing something wrong that the plugins do not work? 

I've gotten used to those plugins, and I really like them.  Again, looks like the lyrics plugin is in Wacup, but it doesn't work, at least for me.  And the album art plugin, which I explained above, will not work in the program either. 

I don't frequent the boards much, and I've tried searching, but it was a lot easier to start my own thread and ask the question myself. 

mattdm11

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2021, 04:04:21 PM »
Hi mattdm11,

IN WACUP, album art may be displayed in many different ways depending on the modern skin being used. The provided Album Art v1.11 plug-in (gen_classicart.dll) provides a separate resizable window for use with classic skins. Disable this plug-in's "Lock aspect ratio" option to prevent distortion of the image.

It appears you're using the Big Bento modern skin. It allows album art to be displayed in either or both of 2 different places. It allows album art to be displayed in the window pane that you are using to display the equalizer. If you don't need the equalizer to be displayed all the time, then I suggest you switch back and forth as needed. I also suggest you try the Big Bento Modern Windows 10 edition. It provides a third way of displaying album art.

The sharpness of all album art displayed depends on the resolution of the image and the resolution of your monitor. I have a 1920 x 1080 monitor and need to use images that are at least 600 x 600.

The provided Lyrics v1.2 plug-in (gen_lyrics.dll) provides a separate resizable window for use with classic and modern skins. Album art is used as the background in this window and the plug-in's "Lock aspect ratio" option should also be disable to prevent distortion of the image. This plug-in does not search for or display lyrics from online sources.  For now, it works using either lyrics metadata in the audio file or an appropriate local file.

Many Winamp plug-ins work with WACUP with no problems and some require updating to work properly. Dro is willing to provide the updating when possible.

Thanks for your reply.  I'm not the best with this so I'll try to reply as best I can. :)

First, I like the Big Bento I have - I am not a fan of the look of the Windows 10 Modern skin. 

Second, my memory of the album art plugin I have is that older versions made the image distorted/fuzzy/pixelleated.  I remember reading that.  The later versions (like 1.1) were supposed to fix that, but 1.1 has never worked with my version of Winamp.  So I am using 1.03.  I'd love to be wrong about this, but I remember trying 1.1 at least in the last year and had no luck with it.

Regarding putting 1.1 in Wacup, the plugin installs, then it doesn't work.  I go to the settings to look at the plugins and it says "this plug-in could not be loaded due to a dependency issue or it was disabled and is waiting for a restart". I of course restart, it still doesn't work. 

So bottom line, I thought I knew enough about how all of this worked to get everything to my liking, but either I am doing something wrong or the functionality in Wacup isn't there yet.  I'd love to use Wacup, just looking to get this working right and I'll make the switch!

mattdm11

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2021, 04:36:20 PM »
I have no luck with Lyrics v1.2 either. Until DrO fixes it, you can use Lyrics Plugin v0.4 (gen_lyricsplugin.dll) instead. Uncheck Lyrics v1.2 in Options > Preferences > General purpose plug-ins before installing Lyrics Plugin v0.4.

Thank you.  That worked.  Just need to figure out album artwork now :)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2021, 05:04:50 PM »
Regarding putting 1.1 in Wacup, the plugin installs, then it doesn't work.  I go to the settings to look at the plugins and it says "this plug-in could not be loaded due to a dependency issue or it was disabled and is waiting for a restart". I of course restart, it still doesn't work.
It's not going to work as WACUP includes a newer version of that plug-in so by replacing WACUP's plug-in with the older one, the WACUP core will not load it to avoid crashes (as copying older plug-ins over newer ones is something that keeps happening especially with trying to use old plug-in packs).

Looking back at the initial images & the extra reply, you just needed to allow the plug-in to be used when using a modern skin via it's configuration (no version of the plug-in has done that by default so would have had to have been changed in your Winamp install). It'd require re-running the WACUP installer to get back the WACUP build of the plug-in.

Also you mention about v1.1 of the plug-in not working on your Winamp, that'll be from trying to use it on an older Winamp version than it supports.

As for lyrics, I've made it clear that the WACUP lyrics plug-in doesn't do online look-up so calling it "broken" when it's working to within the confines of what it's been coded is imho not fair. So using a different plug-in is the only "fix" for that issue until I eventually have a native WACUP solution.

-dro
« Last Edit: July 01, 2021, 05:07:15 PM by dro »