Author Topic: CrystalControl plugin issue  (Read 793 times)

simonlok

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
CrystalControl plugin issue
« on: April 02, 2021, 12:53:31 AM »
Hello,
First thank you for keeping Winamp alive! I have been using a crystalfontz drive bay LCD with my systems for a long time. They provided a plugin (vis_cc2.dll) for Winamp that allows the LCD receive and display information about the current track Winamp is playing. (it can even control winamp via some buttons on the LCD, but I do not use that feature).  I use the plugin to display track artist - title - date information as well as a spectrum analyzer visualization on the LCD. This worked from Winamp 2.x through 5.666 ( even 5.8 ) without any issue. However, with WACUP the plugin seems not receive the Artist information or if it does it is incomplete most of the time (title and date seem to work). Also, the spectrum analyzer portion of the plugin gets data, but it seems as if WACUP outputs this with the gain so high (compared to how stock winamp does) that the spectrum analyzer appears as if all levels are almost completely maxed out making the output useless. I will attach the plugin DLL if it helps. Thanks for any help in getting this working again.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 12:58:41 AM by simonlok »

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3162
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: CrystalControl plugin issue
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2021, 06:04:04 AM »
This is going to be interesting to try to resolve if it's related to hardware.

In reverse order, are you playing mp3s with replaygain enabled by any chance? As the vis plug-ins just get given what's been provided so it's more likely to be related to the plug-in for the audio being played as I don't mess with the audio itself.

With the title issue, I'm assuming this is an older plug-in (hadn't heard of it until now) so it's likely getting the non-unicode title. From looking at the OS apis it might be trying to use, it's possible that it's either not finding the window it's wanting (it's got a hard-coded check for the main window from a quick look at the info in the dll which shouldn't be an issue but it can be at times) or there's a difference in the title formatting string that's confusing it (though afaict I've got the default string to be the same to maintain winamp compatibility).

I'll probably have to have a proper look at what's going on under a debugger & try hooking the obvious OS calls I can see that might be related to determine if those are wrong or not.

-dro
« Last Edit: April 02, 2021, 06:05:53 AM by dro »

simonlok

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: CrystalControl plugin issue
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2021, 03:02:13 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply.

Replaygain was not enabled. I actually tried enabling it and dropping the level down to see if it helped, but it did not so I put it back to off. As an experiment, I also tried modifying the MP3 file gain directly, from a low of 65db avg and then to 110db avg, which show an obvious change in the built in classic visualizer, but even on a quiet track on the low gain case, the data to the LCD plugin is still mostly maxed out.

A little more info on the title issue, after going through many songs, it is only the artist name portion of the tag that seems to having a problem. It seems the first word in an artist's name gets removed. If the artist has a single word name, the name does not appear on the LCD, just the title and date. If they have a two word name, only the second name makes it. If they have a three word name only the last two words make it and so on.

Hope some of this is helpful. Have a nice weekend.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 03:28:05 AM by simonlok »

dro

  • Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 3162
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: CrystalControl plugin issue
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 07:41:59 PM »
Apologies for the delay in replying to this. I've had a bit more of a look & once I've got things back to a usable state, I can then apply some plug-in hooking that should allow me to give it a formatted string in a manner that it's expecting vs what it's trying to capture that doesn't seem to be matching to what it expects.

-dro

simonlok

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 3
    • View Profile
Re: CrystalControl plugin issue
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2021, 11:45:33 PM »
No worries... Thank you for taking the time to look at this!