Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Issues with original Bento skins  (Read 4522 times)

nimbulan

• View Profile
Issues with original Bento skins
« on: March 03, 2021, 03:08:56 AM »
I decided to try out WACUP for the first time today and am noticing a few issues with the original Bento skins (both regular and big Bento).  The playlist search bar is missing (present in the new Bento Modern skins) and the skinned scroll bar in the playlist is also not displaying correctly.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Issues with original Bento skins
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2021, 03:37:16 AM »
Can you provide a screenshot showing the scrollbar issue please.

The Bento versions of the skins provided are based on the 5.666 releases & not what comes from the 5.8 beta (as that's the only version to offer such a behaviour in the Bento skins) which is why there's no skin specific playlist search bar. The intention is to provide an option that's skin independent which I feel is a better solution than trying to rely on per-skin solutions.

-dro

nimbulan

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2021, 05:15:24 AM »
Ah I didn't realize the search bar wasn't available in 5.666.  I only discovered the feature recently while using 5.8.  Here's a screenshot of the incorrect scrollbar (does it in the media library too):

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2021, 05:47:06 AM »
That scrollbar seems perfectly correct to me for the WACUP playlist editor when using a modern skin other than it's maybe a bit bigger than would be liked but that depends on the skin & OS scaling that might be being applied. The same style of scrollbar should also be present in the library view.

I can't remember when I did it (maybe 2019 without checking) but I don't draw the main playlist editor when using a modern skin like Winamp did & instead have it's scrollbar match the media library view which is meant to make things look more consistent (as attached) & especially for higher resolution displays makes the playlist scrollbar usable vs the thin classic skin version that under Winamp was being used.

-dro

nimbulan

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2021, 07:34:21 PM »
The UI elements on this scrollbar are clearly misaligned (the fill image doesn't quite align with the frame of each element and partially overlaps it) and are also not skinned at all.  With regular Winamp, the scrollbars are skinned - unless this was also an addition made in 5.8 though I don't remember the scrollbars ever being unskinned in Bento.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2021, 10:49:19 PM »
All of the images are showing skinned scrollbars (mine & yours). What you've just posted is also what 5.666 going back to 5.0 did in embedding the classic playlist window into a modern skin window & using it's existing skinning support for it's styling of the scrollbar. WACUP is doing things differently from what 5.666 did as part of my gradual replacement of what handles things & when it came to the playlist editor, the scrollbar was changed to better fit in with the styling of the rest of the skin. Unless I'm missing something other than the possibility of the scaling factor being wrong, I honestly don't see this as a bad change vs what Winamp was offering.

-dro

nimbulan

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2021, 04:10:10 PM »
I personally feel the new scrollbar style looks out of place, though the new colors are more consistent with the rest of the skin.  Also weirdly enough in Winamp 5.8, the side playlist editor has properly colored (and smaller) buttons than the tabbed one.

Anyway if these changes were intentional, carry on.  You're the developer after all.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2021, 04:31:34 PM »
If it helps any to understand why it was changed, was due to consistency.

Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2021, 04:57:57 PM »
I personally feel the new scrollbar style looks out of place, though the new colors are more consistent with the rest of the skin.
It was a design decision just like why the non-matching one was originally created all those years back nor why it wasn't changed when 2.9x started to get 'proper' skinned scrollbars. I get that it's a different look vs how it's been with the Bento skins for the past almost 14 years (& others going back to 2003/4 depending on the skin) but it was also done out of looking at things with Winamp & seeing what makes sense to change either as part of making things a bit more consistent or making it more usable based on other feedback.

Maybe I should add an option to allow for the classic playlist editor style to be used under a modern skin & do a reciprocating option for making classic skins use the common scrollbar style over the classic style (which is maybe biased as I've never liked that scrollbar in my 23 or so years of using a Winamp like experience).

Also weirdly enough in Winamp 5.8, the side playlist editor has properly colored (and smaller) buttons than the tabbed one.
As I don't on principal use the 5.8 beta, I don't know what it is or isn't doing nor what choices were made after I was dropped by them & it's been left to languish as an incomplete beta with no future.

-dro

nimbulan

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2021, 12:49:57 AM »
As I don't on principal use the 5.8 beta, I don't know what it is or isn't doing nor what choices were made after I was dropped by them & it's been left to languish as an incomplete beta with no future.
That is a fair point.  I've never put much thought into it past it being the latest version.

An option for classic styling sounds like a great idea.