Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: "Refresh album art" behaviour  (Read 4708 times)

Mits

• View Profile
"Refresh album art" behaviour
« on: March 15, 2021, 05:52:50 AM »
(I was ready to post this and saw a new version, and thought "Oh God, the pandemic will really give us a full featured Wacup!" Thank you Devs, you shine a ray of green light (and a green thunder) upon our miserable lives!

There's an ancient Greek proverb that goes "nothing that is bad comes without something good"!). Very true!

Now for the "discovery", in case someone can replicate it. It was discovered in the previous build and also present in the latest #7236 build. Steps to reproduce: Make a fresh full Wacup portable installation.

1. In case you don't have one handy. make a new folder with some FLAC files plus a coverart renamed to "cover-front.jpg" (or something random).

2. Drag the flacs on the Playlist Editor. No Album Art appears.

3. Rename cover-front.jpg --> cover.jpg

4. Right-click on Album Art and choose "Refresh album art". Nothing appears.

5. Close Wacup and reopen it. Album Art appears automagically.

Now heading to read the Release notes !!!

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Re: "Refresh album art" behaviour
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2021, 04:33:17 PM »
album art is a on-going issue, especially art over 600x600 ('search' tool is your friend)..

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2021, 05:19:24 PM »
No album art appears where exactly within wacup ? As there's things that I've direct control over vs especially when using a modern skin that will be doing it's own thing & isn't something I can easily change at this time (live patching gen_ff is just a mess to do due to how it how it's code was compiled). Would definitely need a screenshot showing where you're doing the refresh artwork action from to avoid confusion.

As for on-going issues, it's new code & trying to go for an asynchronous by default design has shown up some issues which are gradually being worked out.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2021, 05:39:37 PM »
... Would definitely need a screenshot showing where you're doing the refresh artwork action from to avoid confusion. ...
step 4 of the op = album art window r-clik and 'refresh album art' is one of the options.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »
Without knowing the skin being used, there are 2 different windows that could be being interacted with - one from the classicart plug-in & the other from the modern skin engine. That's why I'd need clarification on what one is being used because this is another one of those classic vs modern skin inconsistencies which I've got to sort out at some point (ideally not having the modern skins do their own thing & just use the plug-in if it's present).

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2021, 05:52:29 PM »
^
yes, that makes more sense - thank you for clarifying.

Question - would your efforts be easier if strictly dealing without the modern skins? e.g. would a 'stable' wacup appear quicker?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2021, 06:12:12 PM »
I'd have a lot fewer crash reports to deal with if I blocked modern skins being able to be loaded but that's something the modern skin engine plug-in has been plagued by for it's existence. However it'd alienate those (including a number of my patreons) who don't like classic skins & prefer modern.

Overall, most issues that come up are skin agnostic so it's easier to keep things as-is & it's completing the replacement of other plug-ins (e.g. gen_ml & ml_local) along with dropping the winamp core that are more important whilst keeping gen_ff around means I can ensure I've not majorly broken anything since it's got a lot of calls into the core.

-dro