Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #19100 (May 10th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: MIDI DLS options  (Read 7095 times)

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
MIDI DLS options
« on: July 01, 2018, 06:33:58 AM »
Could either the installer or the MIDI plugin have the ability to pull down alternative DLS files ?

Rationale:
In the early days of Winamp there was more chance that people were using a standalone sound card  (very likely from Creative Labs) that came with better instruments, or that users could go to the home page of their sound card and download them.
Now most people are using onboard sound, so stuck with the basic version in Windows.

Alternatively how about just including some useful links in the plugin ?
(This at least is a short term solution that could be done now)
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
Re: MIDI DLS options
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2018, 09:42:54 PM »
I have a version of the in_midi.dll that would use SoundFonts with SoundBlaster cards:  https://www.markheadrick.com/download/in_midi-263b.zip

I haven't used it in a long time since I don't have one in the system.  Now, I use VirtualMIDISynth | CoolSoft to change the default SoundFont Windows uses.  XMPlay uses a MIDI plugin that works with SoundFonts that isn't dependent on the sound card: http://support.xmplay.com/files_view.php?file_id=500

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2018, 04:59:22 PM »
MIDI is an area I've got little real experience with so I'm not sure what to say about this. As MIDI has always felt niche even by normal standards & I'm not sure what solutions are out there that could be used to even attempt to make a replacement MIDI plug-in (as winamp's native one is old & has it's slew of issues).

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2018, 08:10:49 PM »
Niche ?
Oh yeah, like tracker modules and chip-tunes ?
*ahem*

The current MIDI plugin supports extra DLS files just fine.
All that is needed is to point people at something to download, such as the Airfont or Fury soundbanks which support the reverb and chorus options (which the Windows version does not). An updated version of the DLS file was made but MS couldn't be arsed to update to it.

I can't remember where I originally got them, but you can get them here http://www.ronimusic.com/smp_ios_dls_files.htm

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2018, 10:51:16 PM »
Within the context of people talking about MIDI it isn't something that generally comes up. That's what I meant more by the use of 'niche'.

It also shows how much I don't know about the plug-in as I wouldn't know where to start with doing most things with it. If it's purely "here's where you can find the files" then it could probably be hacked into the existing plug-in.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2018, 06:13:13 AM »
On a related note I wonder if we are far enough along the road that we can assume that almost nobody will not be able to use DirectMusic.
The defaults could maybe be brought more up to date like the rest of the package.

Pre-selecting the last device option with winamp output plugins is probably a very safe thing now, same as we all can probably all support 44k DirectMusic now, as the 22k default is a DX5 era safety setting.