Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: shared library accross computers  (Read 2048 times)

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
shared library accross computers
« on: November 16, 2021, 08:41:02 AM »
Hi,

I use several computers at home, and my music is on a server, which I access through mapped drives (using the same letter on every computer). Which would be useful for me is the ability to share media library. More precisely, I would like to share both smart views and playlists, so that if I add a song in a playlist from one computer (or change the query of a smart view), the change is automatically applied to every computer.

I tried to use portable WACUP on a shared directory, but this solution has two drawbacks:
- it's very slow! loading WACUP from network drive makes it quite unresponsive
- the whole WACUP setup is shared, which doesn't work well since different computers use different resolutions (and thus different skins)

I guess my case is very specific, but maybe something can be done...

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: shared library accross computers
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2021, 06:50:32 PM »
I've had a similar thing mentioned before though that was looking more at everything but I'm not sure on a clear way to achieve this without needing some intermediary to do it or it being slow however its done.

As you ideally only need to copy the core library db & the playlists & the files defining the smart views which is simple enough to bundle up but it's then ensuring the correct version is used without it replacing a newer version &/or when things are out of sync. At least you've got the same filepaths between the setups as that makes moving things over a lot easier.

Am surprised it's being unresponsive if loading it from the drive - I'd expect it to be slow for the initial process loading as it needs to fetch the dlls, etc but once running then it shouldn't be hanging, etc (unless I'm mis-reading what you meant).

The only thing I can think off at the moment would be to make it easier to export just the files needed from one setup & allow them to be imported into another setup probably via some command-line option (which moves it into a backup/restore scenario which I've been thinking about doing natively as the more I do the more the Winamp targetted tool becomes less useful).

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2021, 10:28:27 AM »
Hi,

For the responsiveness, I was surprised too, I thought it would be slow only when starting/

Maybe if the path to the ML directory could be specified in some configuration file, so that it could be placed on a network drive, but every other parts are specific to each computer. But I guess it wouldn't solve concurrent access to the ML content...

zackbuffo

• View Profile
    • Fracture - The godfathers of Mombeach Metal
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2021, 01:12:13 PM »
the files defining the smart views
Sorry to hijack this thread for a short question: Can you provide the default path to these files?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2021, 01:17:53 PM »
@zackbuffo: it's usually <wacup_settings_folder>\plugins\ml\views e.g. %appdata%\wacup\plugins\ml\views (normally install) or wacup\settings\plugins\ml\views (portable install)

however you also need the gen_ml.ini as that defines what local library smart views are shown.

@Benco: that was my thought as well but the live concurrency issue is the problem (same for the problems that occur with running multiple instances from the same WACUP install).

-dro

zackbuffo

• View Profile
    • Fracture - The godfathers of Mombeach Metal
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2021, 04:56:29 PM »
Ah, I see. The queries for the smart views do not have their own files, but are all stored in the gen_ml.ini. Thanks for the hint.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2021, 05:01:00 PM by zackbuffo »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2021, 10:31:09 PM »
Not sure why it was done like that other than ease of parsing a single file but it's a behaviour I've got to maintain as I know there's some tooling out there that expects it.

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2021, 04:43:41 PM »
Isn't it possible to lock the required file just when an update is needed ? I don't know how the new ML is implemented, but I know that works perfectly with SQLite (but maybe it can't be done with network storage...)