Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Can you create a collective podcast feed?  (Read 2363 times)

Dimitri001

• View Profile
Can you create a collective podcast feed?
« on: August 30, 2021, 12:06:26 PM »
Is it possible in some way, possibly using playlists, to create an aggregate podcast feed? In other words, say I have 10 podcasts that I'm subscribed to and I can see new episodes for each by clicking on each individual podcast under podcasts in media library, but is there a way to create a single collective feed/playlist where Winamp will chronologically place new episodes from all of the 10 podcasts I follow as they are published?

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Can you create a collective podcast feed?
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 12:36:29 PM »
The nearest approximation for now would have to be to either look at the downloads sub-view & just grab the most recent items from there or have a custom local library view that looks for recently added podcasts (e.g. ispodcast = 1 && dateadded > [3 days ago]) but that's not going to deal with a podcast that adds new episodes daily.

Otherwise it's going to need some coding on my part to enumerate the podcast feeds & generate a playlist of just the most recent episodes. The question for you is how / where you'd expect to be able to access that? As I can relatively easily add something to the podcast node's right-click menu &/or within the view though from reading things, I can't tell if you're expecting it to maybe be a specific view / library playlist entry (which makes it a bit more complicated).

-dro

Dimitri001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2021, 05:05:09 PM »
What would be ideal for me is if in media library -> podcasts, in the space/menu where the podcasts that you subscribe to are listed, there was an additional entry that was pinned to the top of the list, maybe titled "All", that would give you that list when you clicked on it.

Just to clarify, this doesn't need to be just the new or recent episodes, it can be just all of the episodes (from all time) of all of the podcasts you subscribed to combined and ordered chronologically.

Thanks the work, man!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 05:06:08 PM by Dimitri001 »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2021, 05:50:16 PM »
Ah, that's a bit more involved than what I've just thrown together vs how things are handled within the podcast root node view.

What I've added for now is shown in the attached screenshot where it'll run through all of the podcast feeds & either add all episode entries within a feed in chronological order (it won't apply that overall but each grouping of episodes from a feed will be date sorted) or only the newest one into the main playlist.

Am now expecting that's not really going to fit with what you were hoping for now you've clarified what you were looking for.

-dro
« Last Edit: August 30, 2021, 05:51:00 PM by dro »

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2021, 12:22:51 AM »
You will have to compile your feeds into a single feed using an online RSS aggregator.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2021, 02:20:04 AM »
I've been thinking about it a bit more & a local library podcast filter view would probably do most of what's needed (assuming the podcasts get added to the local library database but ignoring the episodes that have yet to be downloaded) if it's just a means of seeing what there is.

Alternatively, a variant of the downloads view with it set to show everything (downloaded or not) might be a better way of seeing everything in one go vs an 'all' option in the existing podcast root. As that's going to make it easier to then have all of the information listed vs doing a specific setup for one item in the root view. I get that it's also adding more to how things work so I'd need to have more of a think but it might be suitable as a toggle mode in the existing root view plus it'd help to implement part of the wanting to search for things aspect.

Either way there's options to consider as I don't think the pre-aggregate your feed approach is a viable solution when all of the information is there locally, it's just getting it into a valid state to work with. That's the main why reason I can't just suddenly change the existing root view & an 'all' item as it's been based around only seeing on feed & it's episodes at a time instead of just showing things however & all jumbled together.

-dro

Dimitri001

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 03:02:59 PM »
Ah, that's a bit more involved than what I've just thrown together vs how things are handled within the podcast root node view.

What I've added for now is shown in the attached screenshot where it'll run through all of the podcast feeds & either add all episode entries within a feed in chronological order (it won't apply that overall but each grouping of episodes from a feed will be date sorted) or only the newest one into the main playlist.

Am now expecting that's not really going to fit with what you were hoping for now you've clarified what you were looking for.

-dro

Yeah, it's not quite what I had in mind, but I appreciate it nonetheless.

You will have to compile your feeds into a single feed using an online RSS aggregator.

I'll look into this.

I've been thinking about it a bit more & a local library podcast filter view would probably do most of what's needed (assuming the podcasts get added to the local library database but ignoring the episodes that have yet to be downloaded) if it's just a means of seeing what there is.

I know I'm being very particular now, but this wouldn't quite fit my need, because I'm hoping to be able to not download podcasts any more, because I listen to a ton of podcasts and usually my playlist gets populated quicker than I can listen to them so the result is a ton of HDD space taken up by podcasts.

That's why being able to not download podcasts any more and handle everything through streaming would be a hugely useful functionality for me and I'm assuming a podcast that isn't downloaded wouldn't show up in the local library.

Really what I'm after with the feature I'm describing is a place where I would be able to click on one feed and in that one feed see whether there are any new episodes of any of the podcasts I'm subscribed to (which I would know without the episodes being marked as new, I'd be able to tell what's new because I remember what I've already listened to).

Right now, I'm subscribed to like 20 podcasts if not more, so to check for new episodes I have to click through each and the biggest thing is I forget sometimes to even check certain podcasts, so a single aggregate feed would solve that problem.

Alternatively, a variant of the downloads view with it set to show everything (downloaded or not) might be a better way of seeing everything in one go vs an 'all' option in the existing podcast root. As that's going to make it easier to then have all of the information listed vs doing a specific setup for one item in the root view. I get that it's also adding more to how things work so I'd need to have more of a think but it might be suitable as a toggle mode in the existing root view plus it'd help to implement part of the wanting to search for things aspect.

Either way there's options to consider as I don't think the pre-aggregate your feed approach is a viable solution when all of the information is there locally, it's just getting it into a valid state to work with. That's the main why reason I can't just suddenly change the existing root view & an 'all' item as it's been based around only seeing on feed & it's episodes at a time instead of just showing things however & all jumbled together.

-dro

I'm not familiar with the downloads view, but if it could be modified to do that maybe that could do the trick.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2021, 03:34:52 PM »
Within the episode list if you've got it sorted by most recent then it should be feasible to determine if it's new or not. However something I've already been thinking about before all of this was either having a different icon shown next to the items to also distinguish between it being downloaded or if it's been played (though that's not something currently able to be seen in the internal betas as the icons aren't currently supported with the replacement library core).

The other thing instead of only using an icon (which isn't great from an accessibility view point) would be to add a 'last played' column into the episodes area & have pull that information in from the history / local library plug-ins. That might be a simpler way to achieve some of what you're wanting with the added clarification that you've provided.

I do however think that some sort of overall view (or even a complete re-design of everything podcast related instead of still mirroring a 5.666-like experience) might be the better way to get all of what you seem to be wanting, it's just how to get it to fit in with things as-is without making a duplicate interface as I otherwise quite like the existing podcast root handling for what it was designed to do.

Whatever might eventually get done, having a 'last played' part in the episodes lists is something I need to do sooner rather than later as that's useful to have no matter what else might be done later on :)

-dro