Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Metadata Required for WACUP to function as intended  (Read 1748 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Metadata Required for WACUP to function as intended
« on: July 25, 2021, 10:19:16 PM »
I started this thread as a place for Winamp/WACUP users to share what they have learned related to the title subject. Due to the age of Winamp, and since WACUP is based on Winamp and still uses pieces of Winamp code, some metadata is needed for certain features to perform as intended.

Some music formats can store metadata within the file and some do not, so some metadata can be provided by the various input plug-ins. Some metadata is provided by Winamp/WACUP itself (i.e. %filename%, %folder%, %playcount%, etc.). Some music formats can support a greater variety of metadata than others. With the introduction of the media library, it became possible for metadata to be associated with music files that do not (or did not) store metadata within the file.

Winamp/WACUP is able to compensate for some missing metadata (e.g. using %artist% as %albumartist%, even when they are not the same thing) and/or by guessing from the information provided in a file's filename. I'm looking to learn more about the minimum default metadata needed and not what is needed for individual needs such as that required to support custom media library views and/or custom ATF strings.

The information provided by ATF Help (html page) is a great resource. Even with that, it took me awhile to learn that providing the correct %artist% and %albumartist% and the %album% for each file is a good idea (even if it meant making up an album name for files that were released individually).

So, please share what you know.  :)
« Last Edit: July 25, 2021, 10:20:13 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

onix

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Metadata Required for WACUP to function as intended
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 07:18:17 PM »
Please post a link to "ATF Help (html page)"

I am generally more interested in the analytics of the file, bandwidth, sampling rate, bit-depth, encoder, etc., but I suspect that is not what you want feedback on.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Metadata Required for WACUP to function as intended
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2021, 10:14:43 PM »
The link is in the WACUP Preferences next to any option that accepts ATF string values.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system