Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Question about WACUP version of Winamp Modern  (Read 3036 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Question about WACUP version of Winamp Modern
« on: August 01, 2022, 01:15:33 AM »
Hi Eris (or anyone with an answer),

I'm using the "gen_classicart.dll" plug-in to provide the album art window for all the classic and modern skins I use. Initially, this resulted in 2 Album Art (Alt+A) commands being displayed in the main right-click menus for the modern skins that provide their own album art windows. One for the plug-in and one for the window provided by the skin.

So, I disabled the loading of the "albumart.xml" file in the "skin.xml" file for all the modern skins that provide their own album art windows. This causes only 1 Album Art (Alt+A) command being displayed in the main right-click menus for all of these modern skins, except the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.

Any ideas on what else I need to do to make Winamp Modern only show 1 Album Art (Alt+A) command in it's main right-click menu? I have already tried renaming it's albumart.xml file (and it's associated script file), in case it was being loaded by something other than the skin.xml file.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 01:37:32 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Question about WACUP version of Winamp Modern
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2022, 11:55:12 AM »
Generally, removing <include file="xml/albumart.xml"/> from the skin.xml file does the trick of not letting Winamp Modern load it's own Album Art window, I can also push that removal to the repository, can't say when a beta build ships with the latest and greatest of Winamp Modern.
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2022, 01:02:38 PM »
The problem with removing it is that there's those that don't like the plug-in & prefer the basic skin provided option so a hard-removal leaves me conflicted as then those not using the plug-in then need to re-add files to get the window back.

One idea would be doing some checks on the xml files trying to be loaded & if it's known against what the skin is going to use that it'll null-op that action which hopefully gen_ff will be ok with. That way the native skin option can be used if the plug-in isn't present &/or depending on a possible config option to manage such a mode.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2022, 01:56:01 PM »
A quick attempt & checking for & blocking the loading of xml\albumart.xml from the skin seems to mostly work - WCM & a modified Winamp3 base skin seem to behave correctly. Winamp Modern is acting a bit odd for me in that the window is correctly not created but there's still a main right-click / view menu item for it - not sure if that's a script thing or something being cached in studio.xnf & is something I still need to look into but will have something in the next build that tries to what's needed based on the plug-in being enabled vs the skin being used (it could mean I eventually drop the option it has for auto-hiding if using a modern skin).

[edit]
Might be some studio.xnf weirdness going on as using the newer wacup core dll in a different install doesn't see the duplicate menu item for it's winamp modern. Oh well, will tidy up what I've done & commit it for the next build.

[edit 2]
Seems the second install had the option to auto-hide with modern skins enabled (not that it was working correctly as the window was showing) & toggling that off now gets me back to 2 menu items. So what is that skin doing that WCM, etc aren't as I can't find anything obvious from a quick search of the xml/maki files... more to follow I suspect.

[edit 3]
It's due to the attribs.m that a load of the scripts for that skin include as it's self-adding the menu item which I realised once finding that file & looking at the xml I'm blocking which is set to use nomenu=1 so the script(s) can do what's needed. Will need to try something out with the menu insertion handling but at least the window is gone without issues so that's something.

-dro
« Last Edit: August 01, 2022, 02:20:16 PM by dro »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2022, 01:26:54 AM »
[edit 3]
It's due to the attribs.m that a load of the scripts for that skin include as it's self-adding the menu item which I realised once finding that file & looking at the xml I'm blocking which is set to use nomenu=1 so the script(s) can do what's needed. Will need to try something out with the menu insertion handling but at least the window is gone without issues so that's something.

-dro

Thank you dro for taking time to look into this.

The WACUP version of Winamp Modern (WM) appears to be a special case where an inactive extra Album Art menu command is displayed, when albumart.xml is not loaded. I have installed over 20 modern skins that provide an album art window (via an albumart.xml file and it's associated script file) and only WM works this way.

Displaying an extra Album Art menu command, when albumart.xml is not loaded, is annoying (nothing happens when it is clicked) and wastes space in the menu.

I agree that skinners who use the albumart.xml file in their skins shouldn't remove it. Those who prefer to use the classicart plug-in should find a way to block loading the file, like I did. However, it would be easier for the average user if WACUP could block it, when the plug-in is enabled for modern skins. Sorry if this will require another preferences option. I suppose there could even be some who would want to be able to use either or both album art windows.

Dealing with what WM is doing is another matter. I hope you find an uncomplicated way of handling that.

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 01:47:16 AM by Aminifu »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2022, 01:59:43 AM »
I decided against adding a new prefs option & instead simplified things so if the album art plug-in is present & enabled then the attempts to remove the skin provided window will be done (the script derived winamp modern menu is also accounted for thankfully with only a small bit of code to save having to mess with the skin scripts) & if the plug-in isn't present then the skin provided copy will be used.

The option in the plug-in to auto-hide under a modern skin is also now gone so it's down to the simpler enable / disable the plug-in to determine what mode is used to get the one window.

For how you've potentially modified the skin already the script menu handling aspect should work no matter what mod / revision of winamp modern is used & you can try it out with build 12330 which just went up just after you'd posted your reply :)

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2022, 04:12:43 AM »
Yes, build #12330 resolves the issue with the Winamp Modern skin. Thank you.   :D

It also blocks the use of a modern skin's album art window when the gen_classicart plug-in is enabled. So, I no longer need to use the workaround I came up with. Too bad for anyone who wants to use both. :)

« Last Edit: August 02, 2022, 05:39:30 AM by Aminifu »

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2022, 11:37:49 AM »
It saves me the trouble of trying to come up with a workaround as well, it's a win-win for everyone!
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4