Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18798 (April 7th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Stream artwork (aka SHOUTcast v2 streaming protocol support)  (Read 3161 times)

vikflash

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Stream artwork (aka SHOUTcast v2 streaming protocol support)
« on: August 26, 2020, 11:31:26 AM »
Hello

I am trying Wacup as a local streaming server to see the difference with Winamp 5.8 and shoutcast source DSP 2.3.5.

My question is : "Does Wacup stream source stream cover art ?"
If yes i did not managed to do it. How to do ?
If no... Do you plan to implement this feature ?

This feature is really important for me

Thanks for your answers
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:57:43 PM by dro »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Stream artwork
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 01:55:15 PM »
WACUP's provided streaming support only uses the SC v1 protocol & tbf I'm more likely to implement Icecast support than the SC v2 protocol.

It's been almost 5 years since I was working on SHOUTcast, I can't remember what the state of stream artwork support even was & whether the newer DNAS out there got a v1 compatible mode for updating the artwork though I doubt that got done.

Not that there's anything stopping you from using dsp_sc with WACUP & the stability / streaming issues that the SC DSP is known to have.

-dro

vikflash

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 02:19:08 PM »
So... no plan to implement artwork cover stream... Bad news

It was the only new feature that convinced me to update to shoutcast V2 two years ago
I've since experienced a lot of stream stability problems :hiccups, glitches and ticks at beginning and end of songs.
I was hoping you would do this in a better way

I'm gonna try Wacup with shoutcast source DSP 2 but please keep on thinking about it. It's a great feature.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 02:36:13 PM »
If a load of people needed it then I'd be more likely to consider implementing it (even against my personal feelings on the matter) but so far you're the second person to ask about it in the past 3 or so years since the WACUP streaming support was introduced & it's not just a few hours work to get it implemented.

The SCv2 artwork support was never a finished feature so it having issues when used is expected & gets worse the larger the artwork that you're trying to send. It's not helped that the appropriate changes needed to resolve the hiccups weren't made (due to lack of dev time) that occur on song change due to how the artwork sending from the SC DSP effectively kills the audio stream output until that completes.

From what I remember, the solution would have been to have the artwork sending also allow for sending through some of the audio instead of just a solid stream of artwork frames which would have helped minimise the playback hiccup.

However, the best solution would have been to change the DNAS itself (not likely to happen & it's then whether I want to even implement v2 streaming support into WACUP's streaming server) & how it requires the artwork to be provided so it's not able to block the audio stream (ironically the v2 protocol is a bit more like how HTTP/2 works vs HTTP/1 but didn't take full advantage of the ability to multiplex different types of stream data).

-dro
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:54:57 PM by dro »

vikflash

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Stream artwork (aka SHOUTcast v2 streaming protocol support)
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 03:22:44 PM »
Thanks for your answers Dro

I'm a bit confused about wich way to choose to improve my radio stream.
I'm still looking for a stability in my stream but now that I display cover arts on my site's player it's hard to come back to V1

My images are basic jpg 300x300px between 40 and 90K and I don't stream the stream branding logo
Sometimes the song changes are ok but often glitches happens.

I've seen the in_mp3.dll Wacup uses has better sound quality and strength than the Winamp 5 one
Maybe you know some x64 version numbers of dsp and sc-srv who would be more stable ?

Thanks anyway
Vik

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 07:02:20 PM »
64-bit isn't likely to help & winamp/wacup/dsp_sc are all 32-bit (though I intend on making a 64-bit wacup build once I've dropped more of winamp).

I can see what you're trying to do as pulling the artwork from the DNAS was the aim with the methods it exposes, it's just the pesky issue of getting the data to the DNAS (am kicking myself for not sorting out something for v1 connections to do it as I'd then not have to worry about v2 support but hey ho that's hindsight for you).

Is pulling in the stream as a relay an option for you? I ask as it's possibly quicker for me to modify WACUP's streaming server to act as a v2 stream which your existing DNAS would then need to pull from (not knowing the setup I don't know if that's even viable or not e.g. if locally run or relying on external hosting & the 'fun' of then trying to pull from a local machine onto the web vs streaming directly to the web server). That's the best option I can think off as a starting point & would make it easier to determine if what I think would work does in practice or not (i.e. more interleaving of artwork & audio frame).

-dro

vikflash

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 27, 2020, 06:39:01 AM »
Hi Dro

My setup is simple
What I'm testing today is :

Latest Wacup with multiple DSP plugin (to insert Jammix Enhancer plugin in the soundchain then shoutcast source dsp on V2 option)
This is routed to Shoutcast GUI : sc_srv x86  (you said x64 sc_srv is not a good idea) as public server via 500Mbps upload ffth fiber connection.

I am not sure to really understand what you say about relaying a local server, but I try to stay the simplest as possible.
I don't plan to rent external hosting. I got good connection and prefer to control what I can by myself ... I don't specially like online radio managers and disk space limitations.

I been using shoutcast V1 for 9 years with no problem but since I updated to V2 (only interested in streaming my cover arts new feature) I spend 2 years tweaking things and testing different file versions
with no real success about stream stabilility.

But if I'm the only guy interested in this feature I understand you're not in a hurry to bring it to Wacup. I know external services can display cover art images but they don't know half the music I play and don't always display the good one even when they know it.

BTW : I tried to calculate new replay gain EBU R128 for my whole library (about 15k files). After a moment Wacup closes with no crash report.
May be a memory or thread priority problem (My server has 12Go ram). Don't know.

Thanks again Dro

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 06:48:37 AM by vikflash »