Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Winamp Pop-up  (Read 2674 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Winamp Pop-up
« on: March 21, 2023, 09:29:31 PM »
It has been awhile but when I need 2 media players to run at once, in addition to WACUP, I will fire up my original Winamp5.666 install. I have stopped using WACUP's preview build because there are too many fixes to it in the beta version and I exclusively use the beta. I know not if it can run more than one beta instance. Anyways, as I said, I fired up the 5.666 and the attached image popped up.

Just curious and I did dismiss it.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Winamp Pop-up
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2023, 10:33:21 PM »
You can run multiple beta instances like you can do with the preview build (would be a bit silly to restrict that in betas but not preview builds ;) ).

re: that spammy looking message prompt (they have the means to do the nicer way of reporting updates to users but seems they cba to do it right), preferences -> general preferences page -> uncheck "Check for new versions of Winamp at startup" to avoid it reappearing if they do other 5.9.x releases.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2023, 08:39:49 PM »
You can run multiple beta instances like you can do with the preview build (would be a bit silly to restrict that in betas but not preview builds ;) ).
OK - well, when I tried to invoke a new instance nothing happened. I then reasoned that perhaps there is a box or something in the options dialogue that needs to be checked. In Main Menu > Options > Preferences > General > I saw a unchecked box labeled "Allow multiple instances (this can cause data corruption)", checked it and closed the dialogue. The attached image of a popup appeared. I was in no mood for taking this 'leap' and cliked "No".

If there is another way, I am all ears. Maybe doing a separate beta install in another directory (is this what the popup suggestion refers to and is it safe?)? I will defer to your advice.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2023, 08:42:10 PM by MourningStar »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2023, 08:59:13 PM »
What are you doing to try to spawn a new instance? As Ctrl+Alt+N is the only keyboard action to do it unless you're using a skin / plug-in(s) that are some how messing with the shortcut handling.

The action should work irrespective of that prefs option which ideally should be left unchecked as you'll have a bunch of other issues if you do check it.

When you do a Ctrl+Alt+N it's meant to have prompted if you wanted to have it duplicate the settings which is a middle ground between making another install or keeping the same install but its using it's own settings folder to avoid the data corruption issue that multiple instances running can otherwise cause.

Not knowing what your config paths are, the simplest option would be to see if there's a %appdata%\wacup_m folder (am assuming the default paths) & if there is, once all wacup instances have been stopped, removed it & then in a newly started instance do the Ctrl+Alt+N & that should then give you a prompt on what to do about the settings. One thing with doing that is it can take a while for the copy to complete.

Otherwise make a portable install using the installer & that'll give you the equivalent & you can run as many portable installs as you want to.

-dro
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 09:35:17 PM by dro »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2023, 11:15:24 PM »
I want to use the 2nd instance for some very lengthy media (a/v lectures, tutorials, seminars, etc.) that need to be paused at end-of-day pc power off and have the paused locations restored at the next pc power-up.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2023, 09:36:36 PM »
Seems I'd typed "Now knowing" instead of "Not knowing" in the prior reply (now edited so it reads correctly).

The last part of my prior reply is probably the better option to ensure you get the install separation needed.

-dro
« Last Edit: April 02, 2023, 10:20:24 PM by dro »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2023, 03:58:52 PM »
The last part of my prior reply is probably the better option to ensure you get the install separation needed.
This is the part you refer to ...
Quote from: dro
Otherwise make a portable install using the installer & that'll give you the equivalent & you can run as many portable installs as you want to.
... correct?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2023, 10:15:38 PM »
yes

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2023, 11:45:16 PM »