Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Edit metadata inside Media Library  (Read 1930 times)

Gen0

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Edit metadata inside Media Library
« on: August 06, 2021, 03:24:46 AM »
Not sure if this is even possible but it is a feature I remember from MediaMonkey a long time ago - could basically doubleclick on any part of any single item in the music browser and a text box would appear. You could edit all of the tags and metadata inline inside the browser.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Edit metadata inside Media Library
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 07:56:38 AM »
WACUP already provides 2 ways to edit metadata. Right-click on a file listed in the media library or the playlist editor and select the "View file info..." command or the "Edit metadata for selection..." command in the playlist editor.

The "View file info..." command lets you see, edit, and/or add metadata tags for supported file formats that store metadata tags within the files themselves. This command works best when working with the supported file formats one file at a time.

The "Edit metadata for selection..." command lets you see, edit, and/or add metadata to media library file records for supported file formats that may or may not store the metadata within the files themselves. This command can optionally update the tags for supported file formats that do store metadata tags within the files themselves. This command can be used to make the same change(s) to a group of file records and within a group of supported files at one time.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Gen0

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 03:40:04 PM »
Thanks for the reply -- as a long time Winamp user I am very well aware of the existing methods for editing metadata :) From a feature request perspective here I think it would be amazing to have if it is possible. Here is what I was referring to:

You can literally click on any part of the ID3 tag in the media browser and it lets you start editing it. As you can imagine, the methods you have described above are tedious and require going through a prompt and editing multiple text boxes. At the moment I am forced to use MediaMonkey for solely editing ID3 tags due to ease of use (compared to WACUP).

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2021, 03:27:20 PM »
It's something I'll consider for later on as it needs the replacement local library plug-in to be working correctly before offering a means that makes it much easier to make bad metadata edits.

I wouldn't however have it reacting on double-click as that's already an expected action so it'd either have to follow the OS expected slight delay after a single-click on an item or using maybe F2 to trigger the live edit (both based on how Explorer does it for it's listviews).

-dro

onix

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2021, 07:07:12 PM »
Thanks for the reply -- as a long time Winamp user I am very well aware of the existing methods for editing metadata :) From a feature request perspective here I think it would be amazing to have if it is possible. Here is what I was referring to:

You can literally click on any part of the ID3 tag in the media browser and it lets you start editing it. As you can imagine, the methods you have described above are tedious and require going through a prompt and editing multiple text boxes. At the moment I am forced to use MediaMonkey for solely editing ID3 tags due to ease of use (compared to WACUP).

I have been using TagScanner to great effect.  It also allows download of album covers from various music tagging services.