Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Folder Name Issue  (Read 2554 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Folder Name Issue
« on: December 30, 2020, 01:45:20 AM »
I have a collection named XXX - Vol.1 thru Vol.12. When I play/open ALL the folders they load and play out of order thus :

Vol.1 Vol.10, Vol.11, Vol.12, Vol.2, Vol.3, ...

I was able to get the correct order to load and play by adding a '0' to all of the single numeric volumes. "Not good Mav!" ...

... wasn't this sort of thing resolved in 1999?

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Folder Name Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2020, 01:56:38 AM »
Not really as the visually shown natural sorting doesn't tally up with the ordering that the OS is providing the folders in as part of the directory recursion that's done (which can also depend on the formatting of the drive i.e. FAT32 vs NTFS from what I've seen in the past).

This would require changing how I do folder enumeration in a number of places (to get consistency) for it to build up the folders, natural sort them as needed & then process the files. Not something I'm going to do quickly for a new build (in reference to a comment in your other recent thread).

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2020, 02:16:20 AM »
Not really ...
oh yeah? :o when and where was the last time I saw this kind of sorting? hmmmm ... (finger tapping) ...

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2020, 02:20:44 AM »
If you're referring to what you see in the browsing folder then that doesn't relate to how I have to enumerate the folders. If you mean something else then just say it.

-dro

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2020, 02:27:18 AM »
I 'assumed' it was a given that I was referring to the playlist editor, which is what displays to me the tracks/folders I have opened and the order they play in. I mean, like where else will the opened/playing files show up? There, I said it.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2020, 06:42:26 AM »
I have a folder named Collection and contains sub-folders named Vol.1 thru Vol.12. When I play/open folder Collection ALL the folders load and play out of order thus :

Vol.1 Vol.10, Vol.11, Vol.12, Vol.2, Vol.3, ...

I was able to get the correct order to load and play by adding a '0' to all of the single numeric volumes.

I have clarified the op in bold text.

OK - I suppose my ignorance is not understanding the one's and zero's of it all. If the app can play a folder of tracks in the correct sequence WITHOUT their filenames requiring leading zero's, why not folders? If the answer is an education in the anatomy of code and operating systems it will be lost on me and your time & energies are better spent on your continuing development of this app. I'm a driver and I will take the mechanic's simple 'sorry, not in this life'. -thx