Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Volume/tone changes when WACUP window loses focus  (Read 3049 times)

hermitical

• View Profile
Volume/tone changes when WACUP window loses focus
« on: July 01, 2021, 10:55:56 PM »
There is a very noticeable difference in volume and tone when the WACUP shifts from being the main window and vice-versa.
When plugged into an external speaker the volume drops and bass lessens when WACUP goes to the background. Bot oddly when using the laptop speaker the volume and treble increases and the sound "widens" when WACUP goes to the background.

I've not noticed a similar issue with other audio/video players

WACUP 1.0.21.7236
Windows 10 Pro 10.0.19041
Lenovo Thinkpad T560

Please forgive me if this has been mentioned and/or if there is a simple fix.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Volume/tone changes when WACUP window loses focus
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2021, 11:07:48 PM »
I'm sure you're hearing it but it's not something I've heard & is not a feature that I'm aware of being coded into anything that ships as part of WACUP or re-used from Winamp (which is very little now when it comes to actual playback) as it's not something that makes any sense to even have implemented.

I honestly don't have much to suggest other than seeing if there's any settings in the audio driver / chat software that relates to active vs inactive programs (e.g. Windows has an option to lower the volume in certain scenarios).

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2021, 02:39:56 AM »
Which output plugin are you using and have you tried swapping to another ?
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

hermitical

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2021, 05:30:28 PM »
thanks for responding folks....

So it was using Not So Direct, I tried Wavey and Yasapi with the same result. Asio removed the weird behaviour but I then there were issues with independent volume changes. So I went back through some of the settings within the outputs and there were some differences when changing output device, at one point it started affecting VLC as well (I was chopping and changing between VLC and Wacup to detect the drops/changes).

Anyway, back on Not So Direct and I think things are ok, definitely a better situation than yesterday.

Thanks again...

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2021, 07:41:48 PM »
In my system, I have to set all my audio apps to use the same output device that is set as the default in the OS audio settings in order to get any sound at all. I also have all the OS sound effects disabled, but I do allow apps to take exclusive control of the selected default sound output device.

I'm using the current WACUP beta (Build 8100) instead of the Preview Build. I have had to set the output device to be the same as the OS default with all of the WACUP beta releases and I don't know if using the Preview Build makes a difference with this issue.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2021, 07:57:27 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2021, 08:54:04 PM »
Sounds more like a 3rd party program meddling with things, are you sure you don't have anything installed that would cause such effect?
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

UltimoKazuma

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2021, 08:31:09 PM »
Do you have Lenovo Vantage installed? I had a similar problem where Wacup would change in volume depending on focus because an update reset my Lenovo Vantage settings—Dolby audio had gotten turned on somehow.