Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Graphic Equalizer window of the JVC Tape v1.2 modern skin  (Read 1633 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Graphic Equalizer window of the JVC Tape v1.2 modern skin
« on: July 15, 2023, 06:53:51 PM »
@Active Skinners,

The left and right channels for the 18 band spectroscope on the graphic equalizer window of the JVC Tape skin respond exactly the same. It's looking like my stereo tracks are mono.  I can clearly hear the difference between the left and right channels in most of my music. It would be nice if these left and right channels simulated that, even if somewhat inaccurately.

I've been able to 'fix' this with other skins with similar animated displays. I've not been able to find the script(s) and/or xml files in this skin that control these channel responses. I want to change whatever is needed that would slightly alter the responses between these channels. I would greatly appreciate any help with this.

« Last Edit: July 15, 2023, 07:22:31 PM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Graphic Equalizer window of the JVC Tape v1.2 modern skin
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2023, 07:42:26 PM »
The reason for this is because the visualizer relies on an API that also powers the mini visualization (Oscilloscope and Spectrum Analyzer all in one, pretty much in Winamp Modern, Bento and Classic) which has never been able to display left and right channels since the days of Winamp3.

This remains unfixable.
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2023, 07:53:09 PM »
Hi Eris,

I know that Winamp/WACUP doesn't provide direct stereo channel support. In some cases, the mono data provided can be made to simulate  stereo. The simulation is not 100% accurate, but it's better than nothing, imo.

What I did with some skin scripts (that exposed their control logic) is duplicate the applicable control section and added an additional timer (so that each section has it's own timer). Then I slightly adjusted the responses frequency ranges for 1 of the control sections. Finally I assigned 1 section to the left channel and the other to the right. This is what I referred to as a 'fix'. I should have said a 'work-around'.

The control logic is not the same in every skin, but I've been able to apply the basic idea to exposed control logic for some visualizations and animated speakers.  I can pm you examples of what I did, if you want to see them.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 08:37:32 PM by Aminifu »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2023, 03:39:39 AM »
I found a simple way to simulate a stereo response for modern skins with left and right channel vis displays. Just add different "speed=" values for each channel to the code in their xml files that control the frequency responses. Experiment with different values to get a variation between the channels that you like.

Of course these are not accurate stereo responses. However the result looks pretty good and can closely match what you hear, if the variation is kept small

« Last Edit: July 20, 2023, 03:47:17 AM by Aminifu »