Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Help running with Wine  (Read 1276 times)

apa3

• View Profile
Help running with Wine
« on: June 18, 2022, 06:11:31 PM »
Hey, I'm using Pop OS 22.04 LTS and have been having various issues with WACUP on Wine. Using a modern skin, moving the window at anything above an extremely slow speed causes it to teleport wildly around the desktop. I'm also unable to edit the columns in the media library and there are some recursion-type visual glitches like when programs would freeze in Windows XP. Using a classic skin causes the main window to become stuck in a corner of the desktop when moved or sometimes disappear entirely. I've seen others on this forum using Wine to run WACUP, is there some trick I'm missing? I'm running it with dxvk installed and in Windows 7 compatibility mode as the install page says, but I'm quite new to Linux so I may be missing something obvious. I honestly think I've tried every single music player that runs natively on Linux so far and none have come close to Winamp/WACUP for me so I'm really hoping I can get it working lol

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Help running with Wine
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 08:25:46 PM »
What's your Wine version?
The moving window glitch sounds like something from older Wine releases, pre-6.x or pre-7.x, past those versions, Winamp/WACUP are running considerably better in terms of moving their skinned windows around.
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2022, 10:20:35 AM »
The library window issues are a problem with the plug-in used & should have been fixed with the replacement the betas use. The rest would likely be down to the wine version as noted above & how the Linux window manager is or isn't handling things as wanted.

-dro

apa3

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 10:48:51 AM »
What's your Wine version?
The moving window glitch sounds like something from older Wine releases, pre-6.x or pre-7.x, past those versions, Winamp/WACUP are running considerably better in terms of moving their skinned windows around.
Thanks, I was using 6.x before as that's what came with the distro, I didn't check the version. Switching to 7.0 fixed the window management issues but I still can't customise the columns in the media library by right clicking them, is there another way to do this? I tried with both the replacement and legacy media library plugins. Is there a config I can edit somewhere? I don't think it's in the menus anywhere.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 06:29:32 PM »
The replacement in the preview doesn't have the changes needed for the menu to work under wine, only the more recent beta builds will work as wanted. Editing hex codes would be the workaround which really isn't a solution I'd want to offer as I've replicated enough of what winamp did but I'm considering changing that going forward so I'm not necessarily hindered.

-dro