Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Song Won't Play?  (Read 5517 times)

JayV

• View Profile
Song Won't Play?
« on: February 28, 2021, 01:03:46 PM »
Hello All,

I am a new user to the WACUP Community as I am a lifelong fan of using Winamp.

I have just downloaded the latest preview build and done it as a new installation (as per instructions) for WACUP and when I have installed it and added my media to it (as I used to do with Winamp) I have noticed a thing...

When I want to choose a song to be played, it won't play that song, although it is in my media library as it will just skip to another song, but when I load up Winamp as a separate installation, it will play the song?

Is there something in WACUP that I am missing that is doing this?

EDIT: This happens to quite a few of the songs in my playlist.

Thanks for any help as it's appreciated,

Jay
« Last Edit: February 28, 2021, 01:14:57 PM by JayV »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Song Won't Play?
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2021, 04:37:53 PM »
What happens if you intentionally double-click on it to play it once it's in the main playlist ?
Also what type of file is it & does it load the file information correctly if you view the entry view the alt+3 dialog ?

My best guess for now is either there isn't an input plug-in present to handle the file(s) or i've broken something.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2021, 06:35:34 PM »
Hi JayV,

This may be a dump question. Are you sure WACUP has the correct drive and folder locations for songs that are being skipped?
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

JayV

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2021, 08:42:50 PM »
Hi JayV,

This may be a dump question. Are you sure WACUP has the correct drive and folder locations for songs that are being skipped?

Hey Dro,

|Thanks for getting back to me, all files are loaded properly from the Music Folder in my C: Drive as that is where they are all.

All files are .mp3 and are in album folder format, most songs are being played while some are being skipped when being double clicked or and that, as it just doesn't see the file there.

But when I open other media players, the files work fine..

Hi JayV,

Yes I have them all in a correct format, in the right drive and all work fine on other media players, including another installation of Winamp.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2021, 09:36:11 PM »
Is it always the same files that are having the issue? If so, could you attach a small one here so I can check it out please.

-dro

JayV

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2021, 11:32:53 PM »
Is it always the same files that are having the issue? If so, could you attach a small one here so I can check it out please.

-dro

It is indeed as tried uninstalling and re-installing to see if this fixes it but doesn't, I even tried renaming them/changing folder names, removing dead files and re-adding them and still no joy.

I've attached 2 of the files that won't play in a rar file, https://filebin.net/p03ikngz8ydu3uuy

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2021, 12:11:21 AM »
Just tried (with the directsound, waveout|mme & wasapi output plug-ins) & they both play ok for me but it is odd to see 48kHz MP3 files.

I'd double-check what output plug-in is set as the one to be used & if it's not the directsound one then try that or if it is try one of the other ones. If none of the normal ones work, see if the null output works as that should always allow playback to work in some manner just to help determine if in_mp3 is handling things correctly or not (which for now as the same plug-in as Winamp 5.666 used).

-dro

JayV

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2021, 06:43:48 AM »
That is strange that,

I have just tried to do what you said and it was set to 'Primary Sound Device', rather than 'Speakers'. so I went to play one of the files that wouldn't work and it works.

Now when I went to tick 'Shuffle' within the play menu and click the file to play it will skip it, but when I untick 'Shuffle' it will play the file fine when I go to play it?

I hope this has cleared it up a bit more.

-Jay

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2021, 01:41:17 PM »
The shuffle choice is something different that I've got to resolve as it's affecting other interactions now I've got a slightly better grasp of the issue from another user.

As for changing the output device working, I'd call that resolved. Primary often will be the speakers entry but if there's other output devices present then it might not be what's wanted which I can't really guess at. Other than checking what's set as the default output device in the OS sound settings, there's not much I can think of as a suggestion on why it didn't pick them up.

-dro

JayV

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 06:05:15 PM »
We can put this as resolved then, as the only other thing that is skipping most of the files is when you try to shuffle the playlist and none seem to want to play most the time (unless you untick it)

Fearless87

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2021, 09:45:53 AM »
Hi, sorry for jumping in on to this thread but I'm having the exact same problem as OP, I'm also using Preview Build 1.0.20.7071 (Feb 18 2021) and when I double-click a song on the main middle playlist window, it will play another song instead if random is enabled. There are no problems while trying it on the playlist window on the right however. My songs are on a NAS and properly loaded as playing a song with random disabled in the main middle playlist window will play the correct exact selected song. I tried setting the exact audio hardware to speakers in both DirectSound and YASAPI and the problem still persists.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2021, 03:38:43 PM »
The playlist in the top right (which is typical of a Bento based skin) is the 'actual' main playlist that playback occurs from.

The problem that's going on is actions from the media library views (playlists, local library, etc) aren't setting the first selected item in the view when things are added into the main playlist. This is the issue that is already on my bug list from before 7170 was released (it didn't get fixed for then as there were other shuffle handling issues that needed confirmation of being fixed first) & isn't an audio playback issue.

I have to assume now that JayV's initial report is from doing the same thing. I also don't have a solution for making it more obvious _where_ things are being played from as this is just how Winamp's library vs main playlist handling goes despite making some changes to make the views better reflect what's actively playing at the time, there still seems to be a persistent confusion over what's going on.

Anyhoo, I'm hoping to get the media library view -> main playlist when shuffle is enabled issue resolved for the next build.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2021, 01:15:23 AM »
Anyhoo, I'm hoping to get the media library view -> main playlist when shuffle is enabled issue resolved for the next build.
The change I mentioned is now available as part of the newly released 1.0.21.7236.

-dro

JayV

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2021, 04:37:43 AM »
Oh wow, thank you so much, the update that you have done as resolved this issue and no issues are found as it works perfectly now !

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2021, 04:29:49 PM »
Thanks for the confirmation that it's now ok for you :)

-dro