Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: [PARTIALLY IMPLEMENTED] Suggestion: Preferences Adjustment/Moving  (Read 15047 times)

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Preferences > 'Media Library' node > 'Tree Options' tab

The Download Items section should be moved on to the Podcasts node. It just seems to make sense there right below the Podcast View Layout box. That way it is easy to find when people are configuring how they want their podcast node to be displayed, they can choose whether they want the downloads tree to appear under it or separate and if they want to keep it visible.

Also on the same page, CD/DVD Items should be moved to the CD Ripping page. I am just not sure which tab it would fit on. However, if you are planning to redo in_cdda anyway, then the preferences could be reworked and that can be incorporated somewhere.

Please let me know if you want or need mock ups or screenshots.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2017, 03:53:56 PM by dro »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Suggestion: Preferences Adjustment/Moving
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 11:37:45 PM »
I know what you mean as I've also been thinking about it myself (going back to when I fixed the ordering on the page to make it look better if ml_disc wasn't present). Now that there's more vertical space in the preferences window by default, not interacting with the gen_ml options page at least with the podcast replacement plug-in would be the better option for me to get done :)

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2016, 01:59:39 AM »
I've now moved the 'download items' aspect into my replacement podcasts plug-in (which in the next build will be a merged version of the podcasts and downloads plug-ins that I replaced but had been planning on merging into just one when the incentive was there to do it).

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2016, 02:35:41 AM »
Awesome!
Did you feel the moving the CD/DVD items that was on the same page was not the right thing to do?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2016, 03:15:13 AM »
I agree It makes sense to try to move those options, I just haven't looked into doing it yet. As I'd need to check what values are being read / written and what the two plug-ins (gen_ml & ml_disc) does in response to those options being changed. For downloads it wasn't too hard as there's an api message sent when it's changed and I could see what config setting was being used (via the settings cache page).

Though looking at things, I'm not sure if I'd then also be worth trying to (with time & some patience) consolidate the then 4 remaining tree options settings onto the 'appearance' page and remove the need for the 'tree options' page at all. But that all depends on how it's been implemented as to whether or not my general way for moving such things around can work or not..

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2016, 03:44:56 AM »
Ohhhh I like that idea.
Definitely low priority, but I like it!
I am all for consolidation and cleanup.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2016, 09:43:54 PM »
I remember proposing a complete overhaul of the preferences back in 2007 but like with everything, it had its costs vs benefits and just didn't gain any traction (despite it having been helpful for those that interact heavily with the preferences). As that page was sort of meant to act as a single place for such things but in retrospect it's obviously become more confusing than helpful.

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2016, 10:55:27 PM »
I would love to hear what ideas you had back in 2007 and if it is still applicable now.
I feel like you NEED all of these options somewhere, but I don't know how you would overhaul it.
I am sure if you were to go through the preferences with a fine toothed comb, you could find some that you could just completely remove. Maybe 25% less?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2016, 11:52:53 PM »
The main idea was to re-organise things into more appropriate groupings along with making things searchable and pinning common pages to the top of the preferences so you didn't need to scroll down the tree to get to some of the pages.

As for what could be removed, that's a tricky one as there has to have been a reason for it to be added in the first place (often due to not liking a default behaviour) but then is it that the default is wrong or just the feature not as properly thought out as it could be :)

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2016, 12:11:03 AM »
Aside from a few things here and there, the preferences are pretty straight forward. But now it's your chance to do all those things that you wanted to do! So far I love the progression and changes you have implemented. I would love to see this too.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2016, 12:29:11 AM »
Alas it's too much to try to do most of that with the means I've got to me (as a number of the options don't work in the manner that allowed for the original request to be partially done so far). For certain things I think something can be done but in general it's just simpler to not spend a lot of time messing around with thing that most don't generally care about :)

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Re: [PARTIALLY IMPLEMENTED] Suggestion: Preferences Adjustment/Moving
« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2017, 04:01:46 PM »
The moving of the 'downloads' section has now been done as part of the latest WACUP beta (#1400).

For the CD / DVD items, when a replacement library plug-in for that side of things is done then it will be moved over :)

-dro