Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive  (Read 1875 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive
« on: January 25, 2024, 04:25:22 AM »
Split from Ariszló’s Study Skin released.

All 22 modern skins in my collection load just fine with WACUP beta version 18106. I have had lockups and 2 crashes after normal playback for at least an hour that seem to be related to media library database issues, but dro doesn't know for sure yet.

I'm assuming they all do, but how do I check if they have a colour definition for wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:31:04 PM by ariszlo »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

ariszlo

• View Profile
Re: wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2024, 06:20:00 AM »
Most modern skins define that colour in system-colors.xml.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:31:45 PM by ariszlo »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2024, 12:28:55 PM »
How about we wait to have a fixed WACUP beta build to use when the scope of access to that build & it's issues is minimal vs going at things that yes should probably be defined in the skins (easier said than done for much older skins) but were seemingly fine previously under earlier beta builds. I don't however disagree that in an ideal situation all of those skins would be fixed up to provide everything that's needed but the nature of modern skins & different gen_ff/wasabi targets makes them a mess to handle with & is no wonder at times that things might fail even when accounting for running them under a plain winamp install let alone with what wacup is trying to achieve with that plug-in & re-using it.

The gen_ff plug-in was never meant to run in something outside of winamp so what is having to be done to try to achieve that is changing things that the plug-in wasn't expecting & if as it seems to be strongly related to how a libpng implementation that's different from what gen_ff was built to use (1.6.x vs 1.5.x) is dealing with older png files (which covers so many of the modern skins due to it being an effectively dead art) is likely the problem & is able to be changed to work in a more compatible manner then things missing in xml files which shouldn't have an impact could be completely unrelated & just happens to be a more obvious potential trigger point when other skins with that aspect are also able to crash in that & older wacup beta builds.

-dro
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:32:09 PM by ariszlo »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2024, 04:59:42 PM »
How about we wait to have a fixed WACUP beta build to use when the scope of access to that build & it's issues is minimal vs going at things that yes should probably be defined in the skins (easier said than done for much older skins) but were seemingly fine previously under earlier beta builds.

-dro

Sounds reasonable to me.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:32:58 PM by ariszlo »

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2024, 06:44:37 PM »
How about we wait to have a fixed WACUP beta build to use...

As a matter of fact, my Study skin is a kind of tutorial skin and it had been on my todo list to add some more colour definitions long before the recent crashes. The crashes simply gave me the push to do it.

Why I only mentioned wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive and not the many other colour definitions that I had added? Well, because I do not think anyone would care much about those additions while many modern skins are crashing WACUP.

The release notes at WinCustomize and DeviantArt do not say a single word about the crashes, only the additions of colour definitions with explanatory comments.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:32:25 PM by ariszlo »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2024, 12:39:24 AM »
Hi ariszlo,

FYI, some of my modern skins have the system-colors.xml or other .xml files with the word 'color' in their names that contain the color definition mentioned. The other skins do not contain any .xml files with the word 'color' in their names. While other .xml files may have that color definition in them, I'm not going to check them all at this time. We'll see what happens with the next beta release.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:33:12 PM by ariszlo »

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2024, 07:54:38 AM »
All 22 modern skins in my collection load just fine with WACUP beta version 18106.

Are you still using JVC Tape v1.2? If so, does it really not crash build 1.99.3.18106 for you?
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:33:43 PM by ariszlo »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2024, 03:47:29 PM »
Are you still using JVC Tape v1.2? If so, does it really not crash build 1.99.3.18106 for you?

Yes I am. Thanks again for the help you provided with some of it's original display issues. Last night I used it for over 2 hours with no problems. When build 1.99.3.18106 was first released it did crash twice after playback for over 4 hours in 2 separate sessions. Dro thinks the crash reports indicate an intermittent problem writing to my history database between songs, but he hasn't confirmed that is the reason for the crashes.

It's the skin I use most and doesn't have a system-colors.xml file. It may have the color definition you mentioned elsewhere, but I haven't checked all of it's .xml files.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:34:07 PM by ariszlo »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2024, 06:42:41 AM »
After re-looking at the 2 crash logs, I see that I miss-remembered how long the JVC Tape v1.2 skin ran before crashing. It was actually 1hr 30min and 04 seconds for 1 crash and 2hr 43min and 51 seconds for the other.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but I expand all my modern skin archive files into sub-folders within the WACUP skins folder.

« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:34:20 PM by ariszlo »

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2024, 12:46:13 PM »
Hi Aminifu,

It makes no difference for me.

Now, if an undefined wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive colour element crashes WACUP for me but not for you then there must be something else that triggers the crashes, in addition to the undefined colour element. Maybe some memory leak that may crash WACUP on weaker computers but not on more powerful ones.

I am experiencing the crashes on a laptop with Intel® Core™ i3-7100U CPU @2.40GHz×4, 8 GiB of RAM, integrated graphics.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 12:47:57 PM by ariszlo »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2024, 06:48:13 PM »

Now, if an undefined wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive colour element crashes WACUP for me but not for you then there must be something else that triggers the crashes, in addition to the undefined colour element. Maybe some memory leak that may crash WACUP on weaker computers but not on more powerful ones.

Maybe, let's see what happens with the next build.

But if that color element is not defined in JVC Tape v1.2 and it mostly doesn't crash for me, then that may have nothing to do with your crashes.

I have made a lot of changes to the original skin for my use. I can pm you a copy if you want to compare things.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 07:01:46 PM by Aminifu »

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2024, 09:14:31 PM »
I have just found out why skins without a wasabi.list.text.selected.background.inactive colour definition crash WACUP for me but not for you. If the Windows display language is set to English then there are no crashes. If it is set to Hungarian then there are. I reported this here.

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2024, 10:29:00 PM »
Good detective work! Now that there is a reason, hopefully it can soon be fixed.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2024, 02:26:14 PM »
Setting things to run under that locale doesn't cause it to fail for me in my dev builds with the example skin that was consistently crashing with out that missing string. So either my test install & OS modifications were incomplete or it's a red herring compared to the 2 things that I've detailed which needed to be changed that got all of the failing skins to work.

I get that there's this fixation on that string & how it's causing every issue but it doesn't align to library failures when using classic skins as that's also happening. As such I've just wasted a load more time on trying to replicate an issue that I don't think is the cause nor related to things unless it's down to the way gen_ff is doing things in the studio.xnf (which should be locale independent) vs using that time to get a build finished off. And if it's still a problem with the next build then maybe having resolved the issues that were causing the problems I could replicate will allow for tracking it down - right now there's too many things causing problems in the maligned build that need to be cleared out from being the causes.

-dro

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2024, 08:10:50 PM »
Replied in the original thread.