Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Dr0  (Read 13936 times)

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
Dr0
« on: January 13, 2017, 10:12:06 PM »
Howdy, Howdy, Howdy.

:)
Owner 1001skins.com | Developer WMC/WCL

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
Re: Dr0
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2017, 11:33:30 PM »
Ey ey, my my..

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2017, 12:11:09 AM »
Blimey, I wasn't expecting to see Joe posting here :)

-dro

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2017, 04:15:20 PM »
I really didn't expect to post on any forum anymore...but, was excited when your site showed a community link.  Well, excited may be a stretch...interested maybe? 

In any event, figured I really wanted to keep tabs on this project.   Rarely, do I have anything to add to winamp anymore...but, I still love it.  Also, I like croissants.  Not sure how that fits in, but ya I do.

:)~

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2017, 04:25:30 PM »
Maybe you can share your cPro2 skin files for others to take over? Would be a shame to loose all that work..

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2017, 04:33:31 PM »
If I can find them.  :P   

I will poke around my desktop when next I am in front of it and if I have anything leftover I will email them to you vic.  I know I have hundreds of PSDs/Scripts and etc laying around with regards to the CPRO Skins. 

Though, honestly I have no idea what state they are in....I pretty much just stopped doing skinning altogether.  I'm still doing plenty of development stuff, though I am spending my time developing services, hardware interfaces and etc than designing.

:)~  I will let you know.

victhor

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2017, 04:37:00 PM »
Awesome, that will do. I. Can't guarantee to use it immediately but I'm definitely taking what's worth and /or complete. Losing useful work is a crime for me!

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2017, 05:00:17 PM »
I really didn't expect to post on any forum anymore...but, was excited when your site showed a community link.  Well, excited may be a stretch...interested maybe?
Piquing interest is still better than nothing :) Not sure the forum was up the last time we talked (things got a bit hectic on this and IRL so I apologise for things going a bit dark on that front).

In any event, figured I really wanted to keep tabs on this project.   Rarely, do I have anything to add to winamp anymore...but, I still love it.  Also, I like croissants.  Not sure how that fits in, but ya I do.
Even if not using it anymore, am sure you can still provide some input / knowledge that might be of use to those of us crazy fools still trying to do something ;) Am more a pain au chocolat person but each to their own.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2017, 12:24:23 PM »
I will see your croissant and pain au chocolate....
and raise you a toasted croissant with a tub of chocolate spread.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2017, 06:02:18 PM »
If we're going to go there, I'd much prefer some cheese on toast and if i'm feeling decadent I put some paprika on it whilst melting the cheese :p

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2017, 08:30:04 PM »
Even if not using it anymore, am sure you can still provide some input / knowledge that might be of use to those of us crazy fools still trying to do something [/size] Am more a pain au chocolat person but each to their own.[/color]

My hangups aren't specific to Winamp.  I utilize a SAAS delivery agent to consume my media.  To that end, Winamp has fallen out of favor for the app that easily consumes it.  Winamp at one point was to support a similar model and fell out due to backing on the part of the corporation; not to mention the idiocy surrounding their offering.

If I could use the certificate store to consume my content from this SAAS without a loss of media rights; I'd still be using it.   The support for these SAAS model is crap on each of the operating systems and no unifying method for securing Digital Media Rights across the OS Ecosystem.

So, until there is a unified layer supported on Winamp; then I and many others will no longer be able to use it.  I may no exactly like the player I use for my platform it is the only choice given the larger volume of media I consume.

:)

FYI: I am not a big fan of brioche; I prefer buttercream macaroon or croissant w/ cinnamon and light powdered sugar.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2017, 04:08:43 PM »
I'm more than aware that I'm wasting my time and finances on trying to do this project and that so much has changed that for a lot Winamp for Windows is no longer relevant (for other platforms there's nothing I can do).

It massively doesn't help that a lot of the services that people want to use nowadays don't have Windows service options to allow the likes of Winamp to be able to easily interact with them (e.g. Spotify could be done apart from their existing Windows library having been EOLd (so is it worth the time to get that working for it them to be killed off) and despite claims of a replacement coming out this year, it doesn't look promising).

Though there's still things that can be done but it's time and sadly money that is needed for a number of them to even just get access to SDKs before even having anything usable. Plus all of the focus is on mobile but not everyone uses that or if actually working on a real machine then you still need proper Windows software. So I agree it's all a mess and it just seems to be getting worse even over the last year or so with locking down of access to things and not allowing cross-usage between services (unless you're a big player and can stump up the monetary fees).

Oh well, c'est la vie :)

-dro

garetjax

• suck it
    • View Profile
    • 1001Skins
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2017, 07:59:22 PM »
Indeed my friend; good points.

Far and wide my usage and hangups around winamp; really have more to do with the 'past' mistakes of driving iterative changes, without adopting standards and service streaming that once seemed almost there.

In creation of NSV it seemed as though, just over the next hill was an integration into streaming DRM/NON-DRM from SAAS that never materialized likely as a result of failures to back development efforts needed. 

In my world today, I love winamp for what it represents and hate it for it's lack of vision that it once had.  The developers over the years had built such a monumental product that defined an entirely new industry and instead of pushing that envelope over the hill they were cast aside and marginalized.   So to where the users that supported it.  They became, the nascent whiners relegated to the bowels of AOL and the web in general.  All the while we each collectively, waited until there was a focus to deliver something revolutionary that never came.  Our once great library of options became yesterdays toy.   Today, winamp could be so much more and with that could really shine; yes, it means getting rid of baggage that it need no longer; and it mean that it needs to change visually, to appeal to this generations consumption standards and provide a gateway to the users of yesterday.  Foremost, it needs to be driven by practical functionality. 

I love what we had; we aren't getting that back.  Time to grow up and watch it become some other thing in the hands of those younger than us.

:Love what you are doing:

And yes, I know there isn't much we can do about it. (sad really).