Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: CD Ripping?  (Read 6402 times)

BajaBlastGrrl03

• View Profile
CD Ripping?
« on: January 03, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
I can't seem to find the CD ripping settings at all. Is it just not here? Ripping CDs was one of my favorite aspects of using Winamp.It worked fine for the year or so I was using 5.8.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2020, 08:33:29 PM by BajaBlastGrrl03 »

BajaBlastGrrl03

• View Profile
Re: CD Ripping?
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2020, 09:34:05 PM »
nevermind, i'm a dumbass and didnt pay attention when installing. would be nice if a plugin for cd burning is made available soon. i do like the automatic cd metadata though. keep up the cool and good work

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 03:36:32 PM »
The plug-in that handled it was replaced under WACUP but is only capable of doing CD playback at the moment.

Ripping will get re-implemented (since it's just playback with file conversion) however burning support is something I'm not sure about trying to re-implement.

For burning I have wondered about doing enough to create the file(s) needed to then be passed onto a dedicated burning program.

-dro

nostromov

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 01:19:25 AM »
Ripping will get re-implemented (since it's just playback with file conversion) however burning support is something I'm not sure about trying to re-implement.

For burning I have wondered about doing enough to create the file(s) needed to then be passed onto a dedicated burning program.

1) Really, do we (ever, again) need this?.. Especially in a player, such as WinAMP. Development resources can *surely* be -better- implemented on other things.

2) For sure, because #1 and /or simply DUMP all of that code; certainly we'd be better off, right? .o0

:))

EDIT: There are TONS of (other) software that can rip'n'burn, just sayin'
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 01:20:47 AM by nostromov »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 04:15:25 AM »
There are still those requesting ripping support (it's just playback sent to a file encoder instead of the speakers when you actually look at what's going on) & a lot of what's needed for that is there but just needs to be hooked up to get things working.

Burning support is better managed else where but there's nothing to say that things couldn't be done for those needing it to at least help prepare what could then be burnt. And WACUP doesn't include any of the Sonic Burning Engine or other aspects since those parts were replaced with WACUP versions & is why there's the features missing since they're not been re-coded.

Should I however do it, like I note above, ripping is something that makes sense, burning less so but who knows what will take my fancy to work on :)

-dro

Mits

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2020, 05:01:56 PM »
I think that we first need to set priorities in our needs for features - for me it would be to first iron out all the file playback problems, then streaming playback and then the (re)encoding ones. For ripping and burning CDs I think we'd best leave it to dedicated 'industry standards' like EAC and ImgBurn. Finally, I am not sure whether ripping and burning are still 100% legal activities in all parts of the world - is it?

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2020, 09:18:08 PM »
I think that we first need to set priorities in our needs for features
Which is why nothing has been actively done towards this for a few years despite the grumpy comments I get every now & then about it not being done :)

Finally, I am not sure whether ripping and burning are still 100% legal activities in all parts of the world - is it?
Me neither but most seem to be ok if it's for personal consumption as no one ripping a CD should really be sharing the files around anyway...

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2020, 12:23:24 AM »
Using the argument "why waste time on an old feature almost nobody uses these days ?" is dumb in a project that supports tacker modules and chip tunes.

Using the argument "why support a feature/format that can be found in many other programs ?" is dumb when you could say the same about any individual feature of WACUP.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

Mits

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2020, 07:21:41 AM »
Dear DrFlay,
IMHO there are no dumb or no dumb arguments, there is either a democracy where people debate arguments as they see fit and vote for or against new features, or an autocracy where the developers do what they want and ask nobody.
So just please state what *you* want (or would vote in an eventual Wacup user poll).
Personally I'd hate to see Wacup become a 1GB installation file using 100s of MBytes of memory in order to compete with e.g. iTunes - humans are greedy beasts and the thirst for new (free !!!) features is endless. So a red line should be drawn somewhere... either by us or by the Wacup developers (or both).