Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Two problems with streaming podcasts  (Read 2451 times)

Dimitri001

• View Profile
Two problems with streaming podcasts
« on: September 08, 2021, 03:45:33 PM »
I don't download podcasts, instead I add the URL of the file into my playlist and play it that way, as a stream, but I've found that when I pause the podcast, if I pause it only briefly it works fine, but if I pause it for slightly longer (haven't noticed yet where the cutoff is), once I resume it will not resume from the paused position, but it will instead play the file over from the beginning.

A further problem (and this might well be the same problem) is that when I close WACUP and then restart it the next day, it will also not remember where I left off on the podcast when I paused and closed WACUP the previous day.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Two problems with streaming podcasts
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2021, 03:58:12 PM »
The first issue is primarly due to the Winamp 5.666 in_mp3 plug-in & what it's doing vs what the remote server is doing - pausing a stream (be it a file or 'live') is always a weird one to deal with & if left too long then the remote connection will time it out (hence it stopping) but it's also very likely that in_mp3 isn't doing what's needed to try to resume the connection from the prior position (subject to the remote side even supporting it to begin with).

The second issue, Preferences -> Media Library -> History -> change the resume option for any applicable. As none of the streams will be treated as podcasts since that information is only stored in the local library database for local files - it's probably something I need to consider adding a fallback to check if a stream is recognised within the currently stored feeds information.

-dro
« Last Edit: September 08, 2021, 03:59:28 PM by dro »

Dimitri001

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2021, 09:57:11 PM »
The first issue is primarly due to the Winamp 5.666 in_mp3 plug-in & what it's doing vs what the remote server is doing - pausing a stream (be it a file or 'live') is always a weird one to deal with & if left too long then the remote connection will time it out (hence it stopping) but it's also very likely that in_mp3 isn't doing what's needed to try to resume the connection from the prior position (subject to the remote side even supporting it to begin with).

Could I kindly ask you for this feature or is it that since this is related to a plug-in it would be something the plug-in dev would have to do?

The second issue, Preferences -> Media Library -> History -> change the resume option for any applicable. As none of the streams will be treated as podcasts since that information is only stored in the local library database for local files - it's probably something I need to consider adding a fallback to check if a stream is recognised within the currently stored feeds information.

-dro

I checked and it was already set to any applicable, so maybe this problem is just an extension of the first one.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2021, 10:09:00 PM »
Replacing in_mp3 isn't a trivial thing to do as too many other things annoyingly have to go through it especially when it comes to streaming. It has to be replaced but as I've tried to explain before, I don't have an ETA on when that'll be done & I'm already a month late on a new public preview build despite my plans. It'll eventually be resolved.

It's also very likely that you're other issue is related as you've noted.

-dro

Dimitri001

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2021, 04:24:56 PM »
I gotcha, no worries, whenever it gets done, I'm glad to hear it's on the list. Thanks!