Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: OGG files not playing in Public Preview v17040  (Read 2312 times)

Phuntso

• View Profile
OGG files not playing in Public Preview v17040
« on: October 27, 2023, 02:32:28 PM »
My OGG files are not being played by the latest WACUP. The previous public preview didn't have this issue.
All other media players and my chinese phone play the files fine.
I would appreciate a solution. :>

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: OGG files not playing in Public Preview v17040
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2023, 03:00:16 PM »
Is the needed input plug-in installed & showing as loaded (preferences -> plug-ins -> input -> in_vorbis.dll) ?

As OGG support hasn't been removed nor is it disabled by default during installation unless manually changed.

I'd also double-check if the alt+3/file info dialog is able to show things correctly for the files.

-dro

Phuntso

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2023, 04:07:03 PM »
Yes, the plugin Ogg Vorbis Decoder v1.8 is in the list and enabled.

Yes, the file metadata is read correctly.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2023, 05:54:21 PM »
Have you installed any other input plug-ins from those that come with WACUP ? It might be best to go to preferences -> advanced -> diagnostics -> file associations & use the save option & attach it in reply to here please.

-dro

Phuntso

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2023, 06:39:17 PM »
Here you go, sir.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2023, 10:38:59 PM »
Am not seeing any duplication of OGG in there & it's matching up with what I'm seeing in a normal install (only problem is the formatting issue for some of the entries towards the end of the file that I'm not seeing from the test setups I've re-checked). Other than trying to disable some of the input plug-ins & see if that then allows things to play, I can't think of anything obvious without waiting for a newer build to see if that makes any difference or not as part of some changes I've made related to one user I know was having OGG file lock-up issues though that doesn't seem like this is the same issue.

-dro

Phuntso

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2023, 07:23:04 AM »
I tried disabling input plugins. That made no difference.

There has to be something wrong with the in_vorbis.dll itself.
Do you have any older versions of this DLL which are compatible with preview build v17040 which I could test?

The OGG files were created with ffmpeg btw.
Code: [Select]
-vn -sn -dn -map_metadata -1 -c:a libvorbis -aq 8 -ac 2Metadata is added with MusicBrainz Picard.

Oh! As I wasn't paying attention while WACUP installed, did the installer try to download something that is vital for it?
« Last Edit: October 28, 2023, 07:50:22 AM by Phuntso »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2023, 05:00:52 PM »
There's nothing extra needed for OGG playback during the install process as long as it was selected in the installer (i.e. in_vorbis.dll in the plugins folder & libvorbis.dll in the root of the program install folder).

If disabling the other input plug-ins didn't help then me trying to find old copies of the plug-in from the betas isn't going to help (is also limited due to how some internal aspects changed in the month before the preview builds started being updated again) as I've got no idea where in the 2.5yrs an issue may have arisen as the plug-in not only does it's handling but it pulls in other aspects from the wacup core.

Just for my dwindling sanity, could you provide a small sample ogg file (can pm it) so I can double-check if it also fails for me or not. Otherwise at the moment I'm still trying to get things to a point to be able to do a newer preview build for the other issues that have come in from the past month & changes I've tried to make to deal with one possible idea in the handling of the libvorbis.dll delayed loading that the in_vorbis.dll uses.

-dro

Phuntso

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2023, 08:28:09 AM »
I kid you not I just found out the damn cause...

I downloaded random OGG sample files to test to see if there's something about my OGG files that specifically the latest WACUP PB is picky about...

Get any OGG file, set the file attribute to 'Read-only' and then try playing it - WACUP cannot read the OGG file anymore, it cannot even display its metadata properly, if at all. In 'Read-only' for WACUP the 'file is corrupted' and its playback is skipped.

My MP3s, FLACs and MIDis are unaffected by 'Read-only' bug.

That leaves the window glitching issue which is also new in latest PB.

To test this, you need some application running that shows on the desktop, like Stickies (by Zhorn Software, freeware btw) or a windowed full screen app.
Minimize WACUP to tray. Then click on its tray icon to make it come up. You'll notice that in case of a running windowed full screen app WACUP's window doesn't show and in case of Stickies it hides behind the sticky note on the desktop, as if following 'bottom-most' order instruction. Even if to toggle WACUP to be 'Always On Top' it will have hard time following that instruction.
The previous PB didn't have issues showing its window, I also never had to enable 'Always On Top'.

The latest PB also has difficulties rendering the Drone skin by R. Peter Clark and 883DESIGN (year 2006 skin) - e.g.: playlist border disappears after going over an element which shows a 'tooltip'. The Drone skin tooltips now also have extra black bits which aren't supposed to exist.

Alright now, happy solving! Will be waiting for next PB. :)
« Last Edit: November 01, 2023, 08:34:50 AM by Phuntso »