Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Bluetooth headset control support  (Read 3885 times)

mayfrogs

• View Profile
Bluetooth headset control support
« on: February 19, 2022, 12:07:31 AM »
Maybe I'm just missing something in preferences, but I can't get my bluetooth headset controls to work with WACUP. This is a problem I had with regular Winamp too. Enabling all the boxes under Global Hotkeys preferences doesn't work, so I have to assume Winamp and WACUP just don't have any support for bluetooth multimedia controls, which is kind of inconvenient for me. Volume up + down work, but only because my bluetooth headphones control the PC's master volume. The play/pause/skip controls do nothing, however. These controls work fine with every other music application I've used on this PC, but winamp/WACUP are the only music application(s) that I like the UI of, so I'd prefer not to have to switch to a different one.

Part of the reason I use bluetooth headphones with my PC at all is so that I can leave my desk and do other things without having to pause the music, and while still being able to listen, so it would be really nice to be able to use my bluetooth headphones to control my music instead of having to go back to my desk whenever I want to skip or restart a song. Is it possible to implement this as a feature? Or am I being dumb and missing something in preferences? If it's the latter, I'd appreciate some help. My headphones are Srhythm NC25s if that helps.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2022, 12:09:34 AM by mayfrogs »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Bluetooth headset control support
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2022, 12:22:49 AM »
I do things a bit differently compared to what Winamp was doing based on issues have reported which makes it surprising you're having issues especially if the other programs are working as I'm doing what I can to try & hook / react to messages from the OS. So having all 3 of the options on the hotkeys page is usually the best thing to do if it's not working but the defaults should instead "just work" based on what I've heard from others who have used bluetooth devices. But as you've done that I could do with knowing what version of Windows are you running please.

If it's Windows 10 then there's the Win10 prefs page & toggling the main SMTC option from what it's currently set to would be useful to try out. I'll also need to go back over the changelog since the current preview build to make sure it's not something that's a known bug & has been fixed (I know some have had issues but I can't remember of the top of my head if that was pre or post the current preview build).

-dro

mayfrogs

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2022, 03:46:19 AM »
Ok, looks like unchecking "Only enable when WACUP is not the active program" under the Windows 10 preferences fixed it. I can pause and skip/restart tracks with my headphones normally now.

Thanks very much for the help! And apologies for putting this in the Wishlist board, I wasn't sure if it was a feature already or not.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2022, 03:21:03 PM »
That'd explain it then so it's not using the older interaction messages. This was debated a fair bit as to whether it should just be enabled all of the time or not but the defaults so it's only enabled when WACUP isn't the active program was felt to be the lesser evil of having the SMTC control appear vs not working for all actions.

I'll need to add some extra text for that option so it's maybe a bit clearer what the downside of it being enabled does. The main thing is that you've got it working for what you need :)

-dro