Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Watch sub folders as playlist folders ?  (Read 4656 times)

Manc

• View Profile
Watch sub folders as playlist folders ?
« on: September 06, 2018, 07:32:13 PM »
HI..
Can there be a way to use playlists to 'watch' subfolders?  so they can auto-update themselves?

Hope im not asking dumb questions, but iv'e had winamp for decades.. its awesome.. but what has annoyed me for many years is the way it cant auto update certain folders for certain playlists... its all library stuff :/
you see, i've had many mp3's since year one.... so its a big collection.. i ended up just moving folders/files into genres instead of just a-z.. my dance collection probably made me do that.. so many random names that got lost.
Anyway, i also made playlists in winamp of the same names.. that takes about 10 secs at leisurely pace to delete/add to update the list manually... but is a pain to do all or most of them at once...
if the files are renamed/moved, you need to do it all again..
I have too many files & genres to redo everything, and its 'almost' very organized tbh, so i dont need to redo anything,
The playlists of what is basically pc folders down the side mean i have instant access to everything.. then occasionally i create a new list for the special tracks etc.. but everything is in the same easy place no matter what software i use.. some folders are handy for mixing etc.
I went digging tin the menu's many times over the years and can only see library content that the watch folder option is linked to.

So, recap..
- I need the option for each playlist to watch one folder [i can see the need to watch several folders so options for more would also be good].
- There was also an older post about a similar issue with the watch folders, but he wanted it for other reasons.. https://getwacup.com/community/index.php/topic,229.0.html
he wants the option to disable the 'watch' but only on some subfolders in his music folder..
im guessing the 2 problems could be worked from a single method

Another flaw is the 'missing files'   im sure years ago once it highlighted tracks missing, you could tell it where the new location was, and it then went thro the new location to match up the rest in current playlist if any did.. now you cant tell it from the playlist.. i think thats another reason why i ended up finding out about the above mentioned folder/playlist matching..  Winamp made me do it !!

Or am i asking dumb stuff, can the great winamp already do any of the above?

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Re: Watch sub folders as playlist folders ?
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2018, 02:43:20 PM »
I THINK I know what you are asking. Please tell me if this helps.

Open notepad.
Type full path of your folder you want to "watch". i.e. D:\Music
Save file with extension .m3u. i.e. mymusic.m3u

Now whenever you click on that playlist, it will play all of the files in that folder. If you add more files to the folder, double click on the playlist again and it will load up everything including the files you have added.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Watch sub folders as playlist folders ?
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2018, 02:40:04 PM »
A dynamic library playlist would probably fit what I think is wanted though I'd not considered it from possibly non-library files (not 100% clear if that's what's wanted - as I'd only been looking at doing local library queries to find the files to show for the playlist). Otherwise what's been suggested will also do it :)

For the missing files support, at most you've had highlighting of them in the main playlist (if the JTFE plug- in was installed & the option enabled) but you'd have to fix the playlist entry yourself (unless it was an external tool that was being used like listfix or something similar).

-dro