Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18980 (April 24th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: New method for maintaining configuration of media library views  (Read 1981 times)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
The current global method of maintaining the selected configuration of views within the media library appears to work well for classic skins, but not as well for modern skins.

More often than what I would like I have to re-configure these views when switching between modern skins due to unsolicited changes of set column widths. It happens most often with the history and playlist views. I have not had to re-configure when using and switching between classic skins. Since I mostly use modern skins, maybe I just have not seen the need to do so yet.

Any small inadvertent changes made when re-configuring then affects all skins. Maybe these configurations should be saved individually for each modern skin in the studio.xnf file. Unlike classic skins, the overall media library windows are not the same size with modern skins. A particular column width could work well for one modern skin, but not another.

The changelog for the current beta states a fix was made for this issue, but this fix is not working for me.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 11:41:01 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: New method for maintaining configuration of media library views
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2023, 11:49:25 AM »
The changelog for the current beta states a fix was made for this issue, but the fix is not working for me.
Am fairly sure it doesn't especially as nothing has been done towards this existing request (am sure there's already a thread asking for this, it's on my never-ending request/todo list) which tbh I'm probably not going to do as it's too confusing to try & manage & definitely not using studio.xnf as that is out of scope with my interactions with the awful gen_ff plug-in.

The column widths within any of the library views should not be changing when a skin changes other than the header text due to font changes per the skin configuration & I don't know if this is just a difference in terminology or something else (as it's the dividers that can move, not the columns) but how things work against what I see them doing is how they're meant to vs the code & the view area (the part that varies based on the skin layout).

Classic skins could very easily act the same way as modern skins if they didn't maintain the same window sizes when changed unlike modern with their per-skin layouts as there's no need for classic skins to do that due to them having the same image aspects unlike modern skins where it's all over the place. I also don't see currently see the history view's columns changing sizes despite going through a slew of classic & modern skins in different combinations other than when the font differs from the default & that's only then causing the text to change, not the column's width.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2023, 01:36:17 PM »
Following is the line in the changelog for the fix I'm talking about. I'm probably not understanding what it means.

"Fixed some of the local library view column sizes not always being saved due to not getting the expected listview notification"

I certainly agree that the column width changes I'm seeing should not be happening. I'll take some screenshots now and when it happens again so that you can see what I'm talking about. There are slight changes due to different fonts, but that is not what I'm referring to. After you see it, maybe you can come up with a possible reason for why it is happening. Probably gen_ff 'dropping the ball' from time to time.

I believe you that my suggestion to save individual configuration data in the studio.xnf is not possible. Saving individual configuration data would not be needed anyway, if the global scheme worked as it should (which it usually does). I have only seen the files in the users plugins/ml/views folder updated when I make an associated configuration change.

The next time this happens, I'll check to see if a file was changed before I re-configure. If not, I'll see if a shutdown and restart fixes things.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2023, 02:15:21 PM »
That changelog entry relates to actually trying to resize the columns by clicking & moving them or when using the auto-size shortcut (ctrl+alt+numpad plus) which mostly related to the headers of the view filters.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2023, 03:32:54 PM »
I didn't know that WACUP has the ability to auto-resize columns relative to their headings. I missed or overlooked the announcement of this feature. This may be getting inadvertently triggered somehow causing the column width changes that I randomly see.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2023, 03:45:00 PM by Aminifu »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2023, 04:03:22 PM »
It's a standard feature of the Windows listview control so was never called out as a thing.

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2023, 08:31:48 AM »
All this time and I never knew that listview controls is part of Windows. Some of my apps use them and some block them. The control I like is the one that auto-sizes columns based on the widest item in the column.

If WACUP allowed that one, it would make configuring ml views a no-brainer for those who don't mind horizontal scrolling.

« Last Edit: July 17, 2023, 08:38:20 AM by Aminifu »