Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: [CHANGES MADE] Downloading Preview? (Chome 86 Downloading Issue)  (Read 6319 times)

HannibalAnthrope

• Professional Software Engineer
    • View Profile
Neither the full nor portable download buttons seem to be working.  I would normally say "I must be doing something wrong!" but there's not anything for me to mess up.... is there?!  I'm using the latest official Chrome release on Windows 7 64bit and have been using this system and the internet heavily all day.  Tried rebooting.  I manage my security stuff myself manually, so I am quite certain that there's no issue there - unless my ISP is silently blocking the download (which sounds hilarious, except that it's AT&T and they used to block my BANK for cryin' out loud so it is possible!).

Looking forward to testing out the new stuff!
« Last Edit: October 12, 2020, 11:49:26 PM by dro »
"Language? What language? When I was young we did our programming with zeros and ones, and sometimes we didn't even have any ones! But we were happy!"

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Downloading Preview?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2020, 05:23:08 AM »
Hmm, that's definitely odd as there's nothing special going on with the handling of the download buttons.

Have you had any luck since you first posted this?

-dro

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2020, 04:32:08 PM »
maybe it's one addon that's causing the issue?
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2020, 08:54:54 AM »
Try a link from here
https://getwacup.com/preview/WACUP_Preview_v1_0_13_5864.exe
What happens if you right-click and save-as ?
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

mikeygduv

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2020, 07:30:29 PM »
Just wanted to drop in and say I'm experiencing the same issue downloading the full preview. When I open in a new page it immediately closes the page. However when I right click and save as it attempts to download. But it then says it cannot be downloaded securely. So I had to click the options on the download tab and click "keep"

I'm currently using Chrome Version 86.0.4240.75 (Official Build) (64-bit) on Windows 10.

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2020, 07:15:30 AM »
Chrome just stopped accepting HTTP and FTP downloads from HTTPS sites
Check the DL link is HTTPS.

Chrome uses googles phishing and malware protection. It blocks anything it does not recognise.
Switch it off and use a VirusTotal or OPSWAT extension, and a blocker that includes or lets you use malware blocklists.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2020, 07:28:01 PM »
Chrome just stopped accepting HTTP and FTP downloads from HTTPS sites
Check the DL link is HTTPS.
As the site is all https & it tries to force everything to HTTPS then that shouldn't be an issue.

Chrome uses googles phishing and malware protection. It blocks anything it does not recognise.
Switch it off and use a VirusTotal or OPSWAT extension, and a blocker that includes or lets you use malware blocklists.
I've now updated to the current Chrome (I don't use it by default) & I'm seeing the same issue as reported. Will see if what's quoted is the cause & reply back once I've had a chance to look into things.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2020, 07:50:43 PM »
Something weird is going on with the download request under Chrome that is causing it to drop to an HTTP request before it's then redirected to HTTPS & that is causing the current Chrome release to fail the download. That shouldn't be happening & I'm now trying to determine what's causing the issue to occur. Firefox doesn't show any such weirdness & it appears to remain on the HTTPS chain as expected.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2020, 11:44:31 PM »
It should hopefully now be working - the joys of htaccess rules not combining in the expected manner vs Chrome trying to be helpful / more strict.

-dro
« Last Edit: October 13, 2020, 12:15:43 AM by dro »