Preset buttons for equalizer

• 3 Replies

Nondeduvel

• View Profile
Preset buttons for equalizer
« on: September 22, 2020, 04:46:50 AM »
Hi, I just found about Wacup and I just installed the preview version to use instead of Winamp.

I would really love to have ... I mean, I'm desperately begging you to foresee preset buttons next to the equalizer, so that I can choose from several personal equalizer presets in just one single mouse click. I constantly listen to music and I find myself changing the bass levels many, many times per day, depending on the time of the day or night and if my neighbours are home or not. But each time, I have to adapt all 3 different equalizer sliders on the bass side. Having at least 5 preset buttons would make Winamp/Wacup perfect for me. I have tried using the current preset function but i don't like that it takes me 5 mouse clicks to get to the preset I want.

Personal presets could be saved by just holding down the mouse button on a preset button for a little longer, so it would take on the current equalizer setting. That way, you save mouse clicks as well when creating your presets. Maybe make it possible to assign hotkeys to the preset buttons?

The preferred number of preset buttons could be chosen in the settings?

In any case, it would be nice to open the menu of the existing extensive list of all presets with just one click. For the moment, it takes 3 clicks. Also, when you want to access the bottom preset from the big list, now you have to scroll down and that's extra work. You could make that small window bigger so all the presets are accessible without scrolling. When it comes to mouse clicks: less = more! :-)

And now I just came up with an extra idea but it may be a bit far fetched...: maybe you could make an additional special slider that harmonically changes all the bass levels at the same time?

I have been using Winamp continuously for exactly 19 years now, from when I had my first PC with internet connection, when I started at the university. There is no substitute. I absolutely love Winamp and I accept nothing else. It's for me the best in design, usability, adaptability, compactness, logic, etc. When I do the Windows installation of someone else's PC, I always foresee Winamp as their main player. My father has long tried to make me use Linux instead of Windows but there is no way that I would be using a system without Winamp. If Winamp would cease existing, I would just quit working with computers, haha :-p

I hope this helps!

Whipped ass greets,
Nondeduvel

Gordon Freeman

• Almost a full-time hobby Modern Skinner
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Gordon Freeman's Github
Re: Preset buttons for equalizer
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2020, 02:49:51 PM »
by quickly skimming through this post, the feature you want is already included (long before WACUP was even a thing), you're looking for the auto EQ feature within the equalizer
you'll still have to create your own presets, but the auto-load feature will save you from a few clicks

reading down further what you're suggesting will break classic skin compatibility, your best bets are modern skins (that barely anyone seems to develop anymore...)

edit: as of now it doesnt work and it most likely does not work in the public preview build
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:37:51 PM by Gordon Freeman »
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/The1Freeman/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2020, 04:32:02 PM »
From a quick read of things, the biggest issue is that it's not easily possible to change the EQ window with classic skins due to them being fixed in nature & modern skins allow more flexibility but then they'd also need to be updated in some manner.

The obvious change that you mention which should work irrespective of most skins is having the current presets as part of the menu that is shown without having to go into the dialogs (something I've been trying to do in other areas like the vis plug-ins that'll be accessible in a quicker manner in the next build). So I don't have an issue with doing that once I get around to taking over & replacing the EQ handling from the Winamp core.

Otherwise with the request, its got to be done in some form of additional window / preferences page so it's not limited by the skin being used which won't be as integrated as is probably wanted but it's the only obvious way I can think of to achieve things like preset buttons with the existing skin limitations.

Though in addition to the auto-preset feature (which I know is broken), I've still to merge into WACUP my auto-eq plug-in which would pick the preset based on the file genre which might also help some of the aspects & lessen the need for additional buttons (assuming that fits with the need). The other thing as I'm having a quick think during this reply would be to make some hotkeys so you can then just switch things that way.

-dro

Nondeduvel

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2020, 11:57:15 PM »
Thanks for the replies.

Hotkeys would be just perfect!