Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Last.fm scrobbler info  (Read 12324 times)

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
Last.fm scrobbler info
« on: June 30, 2020, 08:34:23 AM »
General notes for Last.fm scrobbler users

Ignore the new Last.fm scrobbler as it does not have a winamp plugin, or support the old one.
https://www.last.fm/download/windows
The old legacy scrobbler (v2.1.37) works fine but will install the plugin to Winamp plugins folder not WACUP.
It will be named either "gen_wa2_scrobbler.dll" or "ml_wa2_scrobbler.dll" (no idea why it varies but on my Win10 PC it has the "gen" prefix, and on the Win7 PC has the "ml" prefix).
Move it to the WACUP plugin folder and it will work.

Now importantly you need to update the OpenSSL libs to current secure versions.
You need branch 1.0.2 which is currently on life support phase, so expect updates to end soon.
https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Binaries
You will want an x86 32bit build.
Copy the 2 DLL files to the last.fm program folder and overwrite the old ones.
My weekly radio show on Source FM ☛ 15% Extra

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Last.fm scrobbler info
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2020, 09:34:32 PM »
The gen_wa2_scrobbler.dll vs ml_wa2_scrobbler.dll aspect is a historical thing based on the install type (i.e. whether the media library is installed or not) & also for some setups due to how dll loading worked which could vary especially if using FAT32 vs NTFS which altered which dlls got loaded.

Often that meant the ml version was more likely to hook things correctly compared to the gen version (especially with catching playback started early on in loading) but most of what led to that was resolved with later Winamp versions where 3rd party plug-ins were changed to be loaded after the native plug-ins which for the most part negates needing to use one version over the other.

-dro

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2020, 03:30:12 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.
Personally I think it is better added to the general section anyway, as it has no config to change and it does not add anything to the media library, or interact with it.

Traveller

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2020, 03:59:51 PM »
Hi, I have struggled over a year trying to get the Last.fm legacy scrobbler to work with Winamp 5, and after futile attempsts, I have now installed the latest WACUP, but I can't get the Last.fm legacy plugin to function, because I don't have clear, precise and easy to follow instructions, how to do this. I found and copied the legacy plugin into WACUP "Plugins" directory, which in my Windows 10, was named "ml_wa2_scrobbler.dll" (in the WInamp 5 plugin folder.)
But the next part I don't understand...

Could you please clarify the exact procedure for updating the SSL libaries.
These notes you gave are unfortunately are too vague to follow - at least for me...
So, here are my questions:

1) What exactly am I suppose to download: On the web link you provided, (https://wiki.openssl.org/index.php/Binaries),
There are 5 different packs named "OpenSSL for Windows"... - Which one of these am I supposed to download, and what do I do then?

2.) Is there an installation EXE or MSI I would need to run in order to install the required SSL libraries?

3.) Which *.dll files I am supposed to copy, from where, and into which folder(s) these need to be copied?

Many thanks in advance, for any help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S: My O/S is Windows 10 64-bit build 2004.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 12:29:46 AM »
Before even trying to update supporting dlls on the last.fm client, does the plug-in even show as loaded in WACUP?

It'll be listed either under preferences -> plug-ins -> media library or general purpose (depending on what you've copied & what you WACUP install is like).

If it is then you also need to be sure that the last.fm program does run normally otherwise the plug-in being loaded won't be able to do anything (from memory it's meant to be automatically started by the plug-in but that sometimes fails).

If the plug-in isn't loaded or not showing at all (e.g. there's no media library prefs list) then either rename it to the gen version or report back with what error is being reported.

-dro
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 03:38:59 AM by dro »

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2020, 02:33:56 AM »
If the plugin loads then the last.fm client should open if it is not already.

Make sure you have logged into Last.fm in the desktop client.

Any of those OpenSSL alternatives should work as long as it is the correct branch.
For example go to the first option
https://slproweb.com/products/Win32OpenSSL.html
Here there is light and full versions. Full is for developers so you want the light version of 1.0.2.
This version is distributed as an installer which will offer to install to the system or a folder. It contains more files than you will need, so install to a temp folder you can delete afterwards if you don't need to update other programs that use the same branch.
Copy the 2 DLLs into the folder with the last.fm program in it.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 02:35:19 AM by Dr.Flay »

hans-jürgen

• View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2020, 06:45:30 AM »
General notes for Last.fm scrobbler users
Now importantly you need to update the OpenSSL libs to current secure versions.
This is necessary for all Windows versions, right? Sometimes Last.fm users report problems with the legacy desktop scrobbler on Windows XP, not necessarily with Winamp or WACUP though. And thanks for your summary, I will send WACUP users here if they have problems with scrobbling. 😉

I guess the standalone scrobbler plugin for WACUP is still on the todo list, as I noticed the placeholder message in the settings? Also thank you for explaining the differences between the two names for the plugin, I wasn't sure about that as well.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:53:50 AM by hans-jürgen »
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2020, 02:33:38 AM »
I guess the standalone scrobbler plugin for WACUP is still on the todo list, as I noticed the placeholder message in the settings?
Correct.

Also thank you for explaining the differences between the two names for the plugin, I wasn't sure about that as well.
Spreading the knowledge can be useful ;)

-dro

mts

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 05:08:18 PM »
Hi
I have the same issue. How to scrobble to last.fm
The solution i found is to use the installer from Last.fm desktop application
I ran the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Last.fm\plugins\WinampPluginSetup_2.1.0.11.exe This file come from the last fm application desktop folder.
The plugin has been installed in Wacup because i change the path in the installer.
After winamp doesn't scrobble anymore but Wacup it does.

First I copied the file C:\Program Files (x86)\Winamp\plugins\ml_wa2_scrobbler.dll to C:\Program Files (x86)\Wacup\plugins. But in the preference i can see a pb of reference. Some files (dll ?) were missing.

MTS

Dr.Flay

• Evil Genius
  • Beta Tester
  • AMIGA Forever
    • View Profile
    • About Me
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 01:16:20 AM »
No other files are needed.
It should look like this

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 06:17:03 AM »
But in the preference i can see a pb of reference. Some files (dll ?) were missing.
If what you're referring to is under the 'Playback' preferences node then that is not related to the various scrobbler plug-ins & was meant to get me to make a replacement sooner but that hasn't happened. However I may as an interim solution add something onto that preference page so it's easier to get a known copy of the scrobbler plug-in installed without having to deal with the hard-coded paths that the last.fm/scrobbler plug-in installers assume.

If you mean something else then I need more information or a screenshot for where you're looking.

-dro

mts

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2020, 06:14:31 PM »

If what you're referring to is under the 'Playback' preferences node then that is not related to the various scrobbler plug-ins & was meant to get me to make a replacement sooner but that hasn't happened. However I may as an interim solution add something onto that preference page so it's easier to get a known copy of the scrobbler plug-in installed without having to deal with the hard-coded paths that the last.fm/scrobbler plug-in installers assume.

If you mean something else then I need more information or a screenshot for where you're looking.

-dro

No at the first i copied ml_wa2_scrobbler.dll from winamp to wacup plugin folder. The media library plugin page showed the plug-in scroobled but with a message. This message was about a reference issue. I though about a missing file.
I didn't see the item scrobbler in playback node from preference page.

Before you can make a new standalone plug-in in wacup. In the item you're talking about  you can put a link to this page https://www.last.fm/about/trackmymusic or directly to the last-fm scrobbler that works with winamp or wacup https://www.last.fm/download/windows

MTS

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2020, 11:02:25 PM »
I've had a look into this again & the provided WinampPluginSetup_2.1.0.11.exe plug-in installer from the legacy Windows installer will install into the correct plug-ins folder only as long as it's specified with the problem that it's assuming a default Winamp install location.

I've determined it's been built using the Inno installer & I can use the /DIR="path" via the command-line to force the correct location to be used. So what I'll do is add some information / actions onto the scrobbler stub preferences page as a means to more easily get something installed which should hopefully make this less painful to do.

-dro

mts

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2020, 11:16:41 PM »
When i run WinampPluginSetup_2.1.0.11.exe, the installer ask the winamp or wacup folder installation. see print screen.
Then i could be useless to use the command line /DIR if the user run manually this file.
If I well remenber Last-fm installer run this file automatically  but i'm not sure.

MTS

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2020, 01:04:09 AM »
I'm not saying you need to do things via the command-line. I'm saying that I'm going to be providing a means for WACUP to try & find the installer & do what's needed without you the user having to do anything like remembering to check the install folder to use.

-dro