Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: In WACUP v1.0.12.5586's playlist editor, is there a way to hide the path?  (Read 6192 times)

ant

• I am just an old school WinANT!
    • View Profile
    • Ant's Quality Foraged Links
I only let WACUP "read metadata only when file(s) are played" since I have way too many songs on my decade old 64-bit W7 HPE SP1 PC's SATA 7200 RPM HDD. https://i.ibb.co/Dt0xS3y/screenshot.gif for a screen shot/capture of it in action.

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering. :)

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
I'll need to fix that.

-dro

ant

• View Profile
DrO: OK and thanks. Hopefully, it will be in the next version. ;)

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Hi dro,

ant also posted this issue in the Winamp forum (eventhough it has to do with WACUP). I made the mistake of trying to help him. The ATF string he is/was using looks for metadata (i.e. %artist%) that his files do not contain. Therefore the ATF logic defaults to using %filename% which includes the full pathname.

Bottom line. There is nothing wrong with WACUP in this regard, but he is convinced there is since you said you would fix it.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 06:21:25 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
There were 4 posts made of this in the end it seems (hadn't realised it was double-posted on reddit until just now).

I've just tried it out with the non-default title reading setting applied both with & without the media library being enabled (just to ensure it's not related to it caching something) in 5.666, build 5586 & my dev build. All of them give the same result of just the filename without the extension with the load title only on playback option enabled.

My initial reply last night was based on thinking I'd not got it handling the title updates in that state with it not going through the ATF methods since it's not something I run & has been a while since I tested it but that doesn't seem to be the case from what I can test at the moment.

My hunch is the "incorrect" titles being shown are just what is stored in the winamp.m3u8. As I do things a bit differently to Winamp when it's restoring things between sessions to involve less reading from the drive & processing on loading so that if there's a title already in the playlist then it's not going to do any re-processing of things. That seems the likely reason from how the update was done (over the existing 5.666 install) & the quick way to test if this is the case would be to add a new file to the end of the playlist & see what title is then shown.

-dro
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:24:07 PM by dro »

ant

• View Profile
Yes, this is from adding NEW audio files to a new/an empty playlist.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
How & what exactly are you adding the files into the main playlist ? i.e. is it the folder item in explorer or a playlist or the specific files, etc.

-dro
« Last Edit: June 24, 2020, 05:42:48 PM by dro »

ant

• View Profile
How & what exactly are you adding the files into the main playlist ? i.e. is it the folder item in explorer or a playlist or the specific files, etc.

-dro
Drag and drop from Windows Explorer.  Many folders and files from my D:\Medias\audio\music\.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
That's it - I'd been trying with file drag+drop & not with the parent folder.

I'm still a bit on the fence as to whether I should change this since showing the raw folder path is actually more correct than the 5.666 & earlier behaviour. As to see the filename means it's going through the title generator which that option is saying not to do until you start playback.

Though from a usability view point it is probably better to have it show just the filename (e.g. for smaller sized setups) so I will go ahead & make the change to get it closer to the 5.666 / file drag +drop behaviour.

-dro
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 04:18:51 PM by dro »

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Hi dro,

Are you saying you're not going to use the ATF string title generator logic for folder drag & drop? Instead, WACUP will just provide the folder's files filenames minus their extensions and pathnames (when the "Read metadata only when file(s) are played" option is enabled). Are you going to continue using the ATF string title generator logic for all other methods of adding files to the playlist editor and the other read metadata options?

I use fairly simple ATF strings, but I know of others who use complex strings and spent some time perfecting them. They would be upset if their ATF strings stopped working.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
You don't need to worry about ATF not being applied if using the normal settings :) It's basically just a specific scenario with the update title only on play setting.

The behaviour that'd I'd done elsewhere but missed with the folder handling (which for bigger drag+drops / add folder actions with the default will show the full path before the ATF title is generated) is to just provide the stripped filename if that's what the metadata reading option implies.

Otherwise depending on the option & how many items & how long it takes to generate the ATF title, the full filepath usually can be seen for a while before the ATF title is then applied. This is due to it using the playlist entry as-is if there's not title specified as I really don't see any point in applying the interim title when the ATF title is then about to be applied as it's just a waste of processing time.

As for using the update title only on play setting, I get why it might be reasonable to use (not that it'll likely deteriorate the life of a drive compared to what the OS is doing to it) though it's always going to be a crippled experience & having it even attempt to use ATF in that scenario then negates the point of that option in trying to minimise drive access.

tl;dr:ATF will be used where it's appropriate but setting to only read on playback will only apply it at that point.

-dro
« Last Edit: June 25, 2020, 06:38:50 PM by dro »

etsaman

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
+1 on this. I had also noticed the full path showing on adding folders (vs 5.666) . I dont need to use ATF for my use case and was forced to do so which was adding unnecessary processing.

I guess this change will be effective with next release right?

Edit : just saw yesterday's new release. Will test.

Thx DrO
« Last Edit: July 01, 2020, 12:52:32 PM by etsaman »

ant

• View Profile
+1 on this. I had also noticed the full path showing on adding folders (vs 5.666) . I dont need to use ATF for my use case and was forced to do so which was adding unnecessary processing.

I guess this change will be effective with next release right?

Edit : just saw yesterday's new release. Will test.

Thx DrO
Was it fixed in the beta? If so, then I would like to try it if it is stable enough since I already have a forum account (https://getwacup.com/#beta) and found this bug.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
I'll add you with the next beta build once I've fixed a few other issues with the 5770 build (not ATF related).

-dro

ant

• View Profile
I'll add you with the next beta build once I've fixed a few other issues with the 5770 build (not ATF related).

-dro
OK and thanks. I guess the current beta is buggy enough. ;)