Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Playing a file is crashing WACUP after my update to Windows 10 2004  (Read 12234 times)

PimpUigi

• View Profile
Do I need to upload any dumps or anything? I have tried all the different sound output plugins, crashes as soon as I play a file.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Playing a file is crashing WACUP after my update to Windows 10 2004
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 01:17:37 AM »
If you've posted this a few minutes after experiencing the crashes then a quick workaround should be to disable the library history play tracking (preferences -> media library -> history -> top option).

Oddly enough I spent a large part of the previous week re-working the history tracking to resolve odd issues it's been having though I was hoping to wait another week or 2 before I push out an update (I've not yet updated to the newer Win10 revision to be able to self test it yet).

-dro

PimpUigi

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 01:37:04 AM »
Stellar service Dr.O!
I imagine all the crashes I was having today were sending you reports huh?

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 04:16:54 AM »
Hi PimpUigi,

Check the selected output device for the output plug-in you're using. I updated to Windows 10 2004 on May 31 and had the same issue until I checked the output device and saw it had been changed to Primary Sound Driver instead of the device I need to use on my system. Major Windows 10 updates like 2004 always changes the selected output device on my system for some unknown reason.
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 05:47:53 AM »
Tbh I think it's mostly unfortunate timing as the history crash has been cropping up for a number of others but some setups have shown a spike in it across a number of output plug-ins being used. Though is a reasonable thing to check after a Windows update as some drivers seem to be re-installed as part of the process whilst others don't (never seen it happen directly on my setups but have seen it occur on others).

-dro

PimpUigi

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2020, 01:17:10 PM »
Been encountering this issue for a number of weeks now. : (
Was hoping the recent update would fix it but unfortunately it did not.
It doesn't happen right away, but after a number of hours. Also the seconds displayed on the track are not an indication of when Wacup will freeze. That could be any number between 2 and 1:20:02

I use a script to play a playlist every two hours, and it seems to give this message every time the script runs *after* Wacup is frozen. So it could go two days without a freeze, but then I could come back to the computer and have five or more of these error windows on top of each other.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:20:55 PM by PimpUigi »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2020, 02:03:33 PM »
What exactly is the script doing & does the hung instance generate a crash report eventually?

-dro

PimpUigi

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 29, 2020, 03:02:14 PM »
This is the bat file exactly.
"C:\Program Files (x86)\WACUP\wacup.exe" "C:\Edcast\Playlist.m3u8"

Where do I check to see if a log (or crash report) is generated? I am unsure, but if it's a file on the computer, I can post it here the next time this happens.
I think it did send a crash report about ten minutes before my post.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:32:12 PM by PimpUigi »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2020, 03:33:32 PM »
If there's been any crash reports generated by WACUP itself then there's a link from Preferences -> Advanced -> Error Reporting that'll just open to the folder (if applicable).

Though as it's a command-line action then that's not something I support at the moment due to how the WACUP loader & the original Winamp process have to interact which can cause odd failures at the moment.

I'm intending to start on replacing all of that code to be WACUP managed as part of August's work tasks.

-dro
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 03:40:37 PM by dro »

PimpUigi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2020, 03:57:29 PM »
It *was* pointing to winamp.exe but I thought that might be the issue, and it doesn't seem like it "at the moment" but as it happens sporadically it's hard to track what might be the cause.

I will be in touch as the issue progresses. I appreciate all of your hard work and continue devotion to this wonderful program. It is a life saver.

[edit - dro]
have grabbed the crash report & now removed the file from the post
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:14:10 PM by dro »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2020, 04:27:13 PM »
Just had a look at the crash report (I had received it earlier) & it appears to be a dsp_edcast caused issue (not sure if it's directly the cause or it locking up is the end result of other things).

I assume you're using dsp_edcast because you're connecting to an icecast server or is it due to a missing format that WACUP's streaming mode doesn't support?

-dro
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 04:28:21 PM by dro »

PimpUigi

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2020, 01:32:29 AM »
I used to broadcast to icecast servers, but recently have not had to.
Mostly I've been using it the last couple years because I know how it works, and so that's "easy" - is there something that you'd recommend?

When I try to use the Streaming Source beta, it crashes Wacup when I click connect. (the other station uses a live Line In broadcast, and not mp3 file broadcasts. So edcast suits that one still.)

PimpUigi

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2020, 01:45:21 AM »
Tried with and without a DJ name. Unsure of what to do next.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2020, 02:22:50 AM »
I'm assuming most of the crash reports within the last hour or so is from you. I'll look over them tomorrow & update on what to do as it really shouldn't be crashing just from trying to connect as seems to be the case from your screenshot.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2020, 05:32:49 PM »
I've never seen it behave like it's doing in your crash reports as it seems to have failed to initialise a number of key internal aspects & that's then causing it to enter a locked state. I'll see if there's anything I can do for the next build though not sure what at the moment as I'm a bit stumped.

Was there anything specific that you were doing as I couldn't help notice that the instances showed as having been running for a few minutes before the failure. Just trying to find out if there's anything specifically I need to be doing &/or that I'm missing in order to replicate it.

-dro
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 05:35:01 PM by dro »