Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: [SPLIT] Site speed issues post-migration (part 12345)  (Read 8193 times)

Pawel

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Pawel Porwisz
[SPLIT] Site speed issues post-migration (part 12345)
« on: January 20, 2017, 06:10:23 PM »
Off topic...
DrO, you fixed my first post because of bad formatting. I didn't choose any different font size or color - it just added without me... also, maybe only for me, but forum works very slow.
-Pawel
« Last Edit: January 20, 2017, 06:11:36 PM by Pawel »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: [SPLIT] Site speed issues post-migration (part 12345)
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2017, 06:51:37 PM »
Off topic...
DrO, you fixed my first post because of bad formatting. I didn't choose any different font size or color - it just added without me... also, maybe only for me, but forum works very slow.
What browser & platform did you use to post it. As I've seen a similar thing happen before but I'm not sure what would cause it.

Is it always slow or just intermittently. Also how slow are we talking ?

As things had improved once the issues with the hosting were resolved but I'm seeing odd slow downs (which isn't ideal seeing as I paid a bit more for hosting that was meant to not have such issue issues due to load balancing site access...). When it is slow, can you see what the page created in time is like (though I've got to suspect it's more likely time to get the response rather than to build it).

-dro

[edit]
I've made some tweaks to the Cloudflare based caching options to see if that makes any difference with the response times (i.e. making it do less on the page responses). If it's still bad then I'll have to see what it's like with disabling the hosting load balancing (which is then effectively like the package I'd been using on the previous domain but will involve some downtime). As I do see that it is either fast (typically <2sec or it'll hang for anywhere up to ~40sec before it all then display which makes me wonder if something is wrong with the load balancing somewhere...).

[edit #2 @ 04:06 UTC]
Over the last few hours I've disabled a few more things within a default SMF install that I'm not using which saves a bit more of the DB access / page processing. I've now just disabled the load balancing option of the hosting and so will see if that helps (i.e. it makes it more like it was prior to december's move). If it's better without load balancing enabled then I'm not going to be a happy bunny. Either way, please (anyone) let me know if there's an improvement or not with the response of things after the additional tinkering that I've done.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 04:11:40 AM by dro »

Pawel

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Pawel Porwisz
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2017, 03:17:06 PM »
Now it is better. Sometimes it is just very slow (I didn't notice such situations when it was on previous server).

I use Win10 x64 (Fully updated).
http://www.meggamusic.co.uk/shup/1485011720/System_Information_Report_21.01.2017_16.08.03.html

I use Opera Browser 42.0.2393.137 (Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; WOW64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/55.0.2883.87 Safari/537.36 OPR/42.0.2393.137)

Ps: One more issue... let's say I am reading posts in some thread... then I decide to post something... when I post it I am redirected to forum root (why not to the thread I have just posted?).

-Pawel
« Last Edit: January 21, 2017, 03:22:12 PM by Pawel »

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2017, 03:23:33 PM »
I've got to suspect that the posting issue was most likely down to the slowness as a few admin aspects have started working again since moving off the load balanced setup. Will be keeping an eye on things over the next few days and if it's better on the current setup then I'll be trying to find out from support why the 'better' package is actually worse.

I thought Opera had gone down the pan with the sale of it and Vivaldi was the more Opera like browser to be using ? ;)

-dro

p.s. will split out these performance related posts shortly.

Pawel

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Pawel Porwisz
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2017, 06:30:33 PM »
I always say -> Winamp rules! and Opera rules! :)

Ps: I also use Vivaldi :) And Firefox, eeee I am strange :P

tjh

• SeƱor Chicken
  • Beta Tester
  • I'm A Chicken
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2017, 08:19:26 PM »
Do you have a PHP Opcache installed?
It's the default these days, but older Linux distros don't include it by default, you've got to add it.
php-opcache it's usually called.  Saves each PHP from having to compile the PHP Code into opcodes - it only does it once then keeps the result cached.  Only recompiles from PHP code to opcode again if the source PHP file itself is modified.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2017, 09:37:55 PM »
Tim! Has been a while, hope you're well.

Yup it's listed in the supported features of the PHP install being used which is otherwise out of my control (maybe I should have gone for a VPS instead - might have to do that in a few months anyway).

From what I can tell, it was one of the sub-hosts being used with the load balancing option by the hosting provider that was causing the issues. As I'd often get timely responses when monitoring and then it'd go down hill (along with the forum software showing a completely different load average when I could see there was no other traffic).

I just haven't pulled my finger out to complain at the hosting about it (been a bit more pre-occupied in trying to get a new build finished off).

-dro