Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: What's your preference on keeping versions up-to-date ?  (Read 32693 times)

n8wachT

• n8wachT
  • 'Kansas, we´re not inside Toto anymore.'
    • View Profile
    • n8wachT microblog
Re: What's your preference on keeping versions up-to-date ?
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2017, 02:29:59 AM »
To be honest, I hate 'auto-updates' .. all of them :')

But in this case I think the trust I have in your opinion on this (what would be best for the project) is big enough to set those anti-feelings off.

Other option would be to let the user semi-decide. Like automaticly downloading the update enabled, and actual setup when user wants.
"You asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business… neither. I’m in the empire business."

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2018, 04:42:57 PM »
Ok, so I'm finally getting around to doing this and the following seems to fit with the majority of views (thanks to all who chipped in):

Update mode:
Auto (now / on close) (default = on close)
Prompt (yes / no prompt + info shown) (default)
Never (not ideal but done for those who might)

Frequency:
Daily
Weekly (default)
Fortnightly
Monthly

Installer Options: (used when not running in auto mode - for auto-mode it'll just run the install as "No interaction")
No interaction (effectively silent / auto)
Some interaction (skip most pages including directory selection & post-install skin selection - just basic pages & custom selection) (default)
Full interaction (manual install)

As a first spin I think that covers most of things that have been raised (will post a screenshot of the page once I've done that). The one thing that I'm not going for is allowing the non-auto mode to pre-download the installer as that is at odds with not wanting to use an auto-update solution.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 18, 2018, 02:24:04 AM »
Attached is a screenshot of the options I'm implementing along with it being in the default states choosen based on your feedback.

Feedback, etc are still welcome whilst I'm still coding this & making some additional installer changes to better fit in with the modes needed (as silent install testing hasn't seen that much testing done on it).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 18, 2018, 03:05:18 AM »
Well that didn't take long, attached is a revised version based on feedback via discord (thanks all for being quick on this!).

The frequency update option has been moved to the top of the group so it doesn't seem to be related to the 'never' option & some of the wording has been tweaked to avoid confusion & provide better clarity (primarily for the installer options section).

-dro
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 03:19:45 AM by dro »

n8wachT

• n8wachT
  • 'Kansas, we´re not inside Toto anymore.'
    • View Profile
    • n8wachT microblog
« Reply #34 on: July 18, 2018, 09:46:53 PM »
Attached is a screenshot of the options I'm implementing along with it being in the default states choosen based on your feedback.

Feedback, etc are still welcome whilst I'm still coding this & making some additional installer changes to better fit in with the modes needed (as silent install testing hasn't seen that much testing done on it).

-dro

I think it's most perfect now, it will fit every user's needs. I'm looking forward to some new testing. I'm planning to do double-testing; one installed winamp and one running portable on a external thumb drive. I'm planning to test it among with 10+ plugins (some most forgotten by most.. :))
"You asked me if I was in the meth business or the money business… neither. I’m in the empire business."

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 27, 2018, 07:06:51 PM »
Here's some final screenshots for the update features (which are a bit newer than what some have seen in Discord whilst this has been worked on).

The beta_prompt.png is self explanatory and is what will be shown on loading if the default 'prompt' mode is selected.

The beta_download_code.png is the alternative way to get an update as well as showing something beta testers will need to do to allow for the updater to automatically work. For non-beta builds (which getting this done is a big step closer) it will not have the 'beta download code' section. Additionally to go between beta & non-beta builds will require manually installing the appropriate installer to opt-in/-out of that mode as needed (i.e. final builds only update to final builds).

The final one, beta_download_pending.png is what you'll see if there's an update and you've either skipped it or just haven't gotten the on-start-up notification yet (depending on your update frequency checking options).

Overall I think I've now got an update solution that should be tolerant enough for poor network / site issues as well as not being too nagging in nature and simple enough to update :)  As this work has involved the WACUP core along with server side and installer changes to help slip-stream things (it's possible to do 3-clicks to complete the update under the default settings which I don't think is too bad).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: September 19, 2018, 04:01:05 PM »
Now that beta builds 2740 and newer have updating support (with 2800 hopefully resolving all issues related to it) I'm going to un-pin this thread as I think we can call it as a done feature. Thanks to all who contributed in the suggestions & testing of the the update system.

-dro

Devylth

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2018, 02:50:35 AM »
I would prefer for the application to check for updates and simply have a pop up window that allows you to either update the application and restart or ignore it and do it later by manually going to the website and getting it.

There should also be a checkbox in the settings to enable checking for updates and for auto-updating on startup.  but neither should be enabled by default.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2018, 03:02:47 AM »
The first part is how it now works -you get a prompt that you can agree to & it downloads & runs the installer or you skip & you can update it yourself or on the next update.

With the second part, it was decided to have it checking for updates (via the prompt method) on by default but auto-updating is not a default mode & has to be opted into (is shown in the screenshots in the prior few posts what the config options are & all of that).

-dro