Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Discord Now Playing Integration - Updated 23 Apr 2020  (Read 3437 times)

hans-jürgen

• View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
Discord Now Playing Integration - Updated 23 Apr 2020
« on: April 26, 2020, 06:39:03 PM »
As the related announcement is locked, I have to start a new topic about it. I just tried to use this feature, but could not figure out for a while why I could not find any place in Discord to somehow add WACUP to my "game activities", because that is what you have to do as well if you want to show your currently playing song on a Discord server in your profile.

Long story short: the tab "game activity" in your settings only exists in their desktop version, not in the browser version which I normally use. In that tab you can open a dropdown list of active Windows apps in your taskbar (not try to type WACUP), so you can just pick WACUP from there if it is already playing something.

Furthermore I had to disable and enable the related switch there and also click on the Overlay button above the switch, then it would finally work, also in the browser. Closing the desktop app ended the display of the current song in my Discord profile, although I still had it open in the browser.

When it worked, it updated the new song immediately for me, no lag. Maybe this also depends on the number of server members. I tried it on the Last.fm Discord server (about 2k members, several hundred online), as WACUP still lacks a native scrobbling plugin. ;-)
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Discord Now Playing Integration - Updated 23 Apr 2020
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2020, 11:22:34 PM »
I'd removed the "game activity" references from the locked thread (since it's generally static information) as it's not meant to be needed for quite a long time. It was when WACUP was getting Discord support but Discord generally improved things so that it should "just work" & is just when you have multiple programs trying to update it at the same time.

The system won't do browser updates as the communication system is only done between WACUP & the desktop client (which explains it not working without the desktop client running).

-dro

hans-jürgen

• View Profile
    • Last.fm profile
Re: Discord Now Playing Integration - Updated 23 Apr 2020
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 04:36:22 AM »
Thanks for your reply. I'm not on Discord that often, so I wasn't aware that there was a difference in available settings between browser and desktop version which would prevent this feature from being enabled/working. I had noticed that some Discord members used foobar that way and was surprised to find that WACUP can also do this. Makes sense if you're into this "Now playing" thing on other sites which is related to scrobbling. There are related options for Spotify and Deezer on Discord, as you might know.

I was also pleased to find that WACUP has a WASAPI and ASIO plugin now, so I could test different things today.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 04:38:23 AM by hans-jürgen »
ZZee ya, Hans-Jürgen