Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Bundled Source Streaming  (Read 3430 times)

Deide

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Bundled Source Streaming
« on: February 07, 2020, 08:17:29 PM »
The bundled source streaming works quite well relative to Icecast and Shoutcast and the typical dsp_sc and dsp_altacast plugins, but I have a few simple suggestions to improve it:

- Put the external web assets/files into the WACUP file directory for easy editing.
  - Customise the stream's endpoint
  - Add the ability to start the server via command line switch (much like playback/playlist control). It would be nice to be able to start the server remotely or reactively.
  - Add the ability to connect to the server via command line switch for the same reasons above.

My personal motivation is to have have people on some IM client be able to listen in when I'm playing music - like sharing an earphone with a friend over the internet. I know they can be set to start and connect automatically, but it seems like a bit of a waste to me. You often get people sharing Youtube links to their music as a way of sharing some experience, but it's a little less direct and personal, and it's a shame to have a separate clunky playlist system that isn't easily updated in realtime.

Finally, one nice-to-have would be to have the currently playing album art available at some endpoint like Shoutcast does.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 08:43:46 PM by Deide »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Bundled Source Streaming
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2020, 09:26:04 PM »
Due to how the streaming mode works, automatically starting the stream would only go as far as somehow starting the source but the server itself would need to be always running otherwise there's no means to know a connection has been attempted. I do however like the idea of trying to do that (something that might have been useful in my SHOUTcast days on low-usage DNAS).

For the rest of things, what's provided is currently intended as a basic single-stream server for personal usage such as on the same network. It is possible if you setup things as needed to then use it in a wider scope either with people directly connecting to it or using it as the feed in a relay. But that means there's none of the expected configuration that comes with equivalent Icecast/SHOUTcast setups as the aim was mainly as a proof of concept that it would even work.

I'll keep this in mind when I next get around to actively working on the plug-ins involved.

-dro

Deide

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2020, 11:07:21 PM »
Maybe I misrepresented my suggestion.

I'm hinging on the relative simplicity and the fact it's built in, purely for personal use - not concerned with making it powerful radio software, haha. The only thing that needs to happen to broadcast over the internet is a port forward.
The way to go about sharing your currently playing music at the moment is to go into Preferences > Streaming and then hit the 'Start Server' button, then go into Preferences > Streaming > Stream Source and hit the 'Connect' button. Then of course have someone directly connect by passing them your IP/domain.

I'm just suggesting being able to click those buttons programmatically somehow. For example, another program could execute winamp with some command line switch, and that program would also handle giving the link to whomever is requesting to join in (ie. some IM software plugin that is also showing that you're listening to music). Thinking about it, it probably would be more sensible to just have the one switch that starts the server then connects the source in one go, to avoid trying to connect the source when no server is running - was mainly thinking of separate Icecast/Shoutcast servers (which can obviously be started programmatically anyway).

Forgive my ignorance if I'm missing something simple though! It currently works with just "auto start server" and "auto connect stream source", but to have it running when maybe 80% of the time no one is interested in listening in feels a little unnecessary.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 04:46:20 PM »
Ah ok, I'd not been following correctly.
So just having a quicker means to start/stop the server + stream output in one go for the WACUP provided solution.

Will have a look into it :)
-dro