Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Chromecast Support  (Read 7415 times)

TheFonz

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Chromecast Support
« on: January 07, 2020, 03:51:01 AM »
Ability to cast audio directly to a Chromecast device would be excellent. I cannot find a way to do this currently...
I am currently using Rouge Amoeba's AirFoil which has since been discontinued from development, which sucks.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Chromecast Support
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 03:43:39 PM »
The last time I looked, there's no formal way for a standard Windows program to do it as you either need to be within Chrome or a Android/iOS app.

I know VLC apparently added an unofficial mode but I've not tried it nor does it seem to be done in a manner that would allow it to be used as a library by other programs (unless anything has changed since I last looked).

Maybe I've missed something as really we'd just need to get the WACUP streaming server output accessed from the chromecast device but it's how to get that working which if there is a sensible way of doing it then I would be willing to support it.

-dro

TheFonz

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 09:53:15 PM »
Maybe I've missed something as really we'd just need to get the WACUP streaming server output accessed from the chromecast device but it's how to get that working which if there is a sensible way of doing it then I would be willing to support it.

-dro

This is what I've been trying to do, but I don't know how to send the audio to the chromecast device from windows.

Powermaniax

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2021, 03:48:19 PM »
Are there any plans? This would make wacup perfect

ShefSam

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2021, 05:29:03 PM »

I agree.  Keep us posted.

BigTedh

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2021, 08:38:50 PM »
Would love if this were possible!

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2022, 04:04:42 PM »
No one has pointed me to a simple nicely licensed implementation that could be used to even attempt to implement this request (I'm not going to hack up VLC source code, etc especially as I think it's then at odds on code licensing). So until there's some nice way to do it from a traditional DESKTOP program it's not going to happen & I doubt Google have done anything to help either as it's all about Chrome/mobile when I last looked.

-dro

bobdobbs

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2022, 01:17:02 PM »
Some non-chromecast solutions:

While Chromecast support itself is nice, for some people - like myself, just getting the audio to my stereo was enough (even if there is a lag of a few seconds).

DLNA and Pulseaudio
In that vein, I was using pulseaudio-dlna in Linux and sending audio to my TV/Stereo (all audio that is, not just WACUP or whichever audio player I happened to be using).

My slightly fiddly setup would is to start streaming with DLNA, then once that is going, I would use the remote control to go to launch ProjectM on my TV and get visuals going.

EDIT:  @Dro just found the conversations on forums from 10 years ago re: DLNA, hope the other info is useful.
The downside is that Android may decide to kill the recieving app at some point.

You may have luck using windows DLNA support or even the windows pulseaudio builds and it's DLNA support (I'm not sure how easy or possible this last bit is).

KODI:
I used to use KODI to receive audio on my  Android TV and play visuals, but a few years ago the visuals disappeared from the build for some reason.

ROC
ROC looks very promising for sending and receiving audio over the network (low latency and forward error correction are touted)
https://gavv.github.io/articles/roc-tutorial/

Conclusion:
DLNA is the easiest thing to get going (and it wouldn't surprise me if a winamp plugin already exists) - it's laggy, but works.
ROC looks promising and provides a library, I've been able to run the reciever on my Android TV (for now had to sideload and it has no icon, though that is easily patched).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 01:23:34 PM by bobdobbs »