• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
plugin development ressources
« on: December 29, 2019, 11:33:46 AM »
Hi,

I plan on developping a winamp plugin, and found this resource:
http://wiki.winamp.com/wiki/Plug-in_Developer

Is it up to date?
And do you know any forum where I could get some help? I'm new to win32 dev, and I guess it will be hard at the beginnning...

Thanks!
« Last Edit: December 29, 2019, 11:49:39 AM by Benco »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: plugin development ressources
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2020, 03:23:48 PM »
Apologies for the delay in replying.

I never found that aspect of the wiki all that helpful. Depending on the type of plug-in you're looking to make it's often much better to have a look at an existing plug-in to get a better idea otherwise some of the older Winamp SDK's included a selection of simpler examples that might also help.

You can ask on here or drop me an email or get on the discord & that might be quicker to help with programming related questions.

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2020, 03:37:12 PM »
Hi DrO,

Best wishes for the new year. Don't worry about the delay, I figured out that, posting between Christmas and new year's eve, I wouldn't get a reply right away ;)

I want to create a plugin that exports all media library playists to a specific network location, and update them whenever there's a change in them. I own a Synology NAS, and my goal is to integrate ML playlists to the DS Audio application. I'm currently working on the NAS side (found out how to integrate a playlist into DS Audio, but not how to pin it on the homepage). What IDE would you recommand, between Visual Studio 2017 and Code::Blocks?

Thanks for your help!

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2020, 04:00:07 PM »
I've not used Code::Blocks in over a decade & only briefly so at the time so it might have to be Visual Studio (really depends on what's needed for the NAS side unless you're just focusing on the plug-in side of things). Though that would allow you to make use of the VS2017 runtime that's shipped with WACUP to help keep the size of the dll & related distributables to a minimum (which is always nice).
I am wondering if there's something I can do from my side that might help you out as it wouldn't be too hard for me to add a command-line option to export the library playlists to a folder (as long as it can be accessed via normal path handling methods) & likewise copying them back but it's more about the files that the playlists relate to that can be the issue depending upon the direction of file transfer.

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 01:06:57 PM »
Thanks for the offer. I don't think adding a command line would be enough, since I want to update the exported playlists as soon as the ML playlist is modified. Plus that's a good start for learning Winamp plugin development, which I wanted to do for some years now ;)

On the NAS side, there is not much to do, since all I need is to upload the m3u file on a known location using ssh. I guess that part is easy. More complicated part would be the event management.

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2020, 10:10:02 AM »
Hi,

I didn't manage to find an empty ML plugin that I could compile. The only ML plugin source that I found (included in the Winamp SDK) doesn't work, at least on my environment. It's the ML_XMLEX plugin. Could someone provide me with an empty ML plugin project for VS 2017?

Many thanks!

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2020, 07:58:11 PM »
Before I attempt to sort out an example project (ml_xmlex not compiling isn't too surprising due to its age & the SDK being a mess though it's also fairly basic for a ml_* plug-in), you might not need your plug-in to be ml_*.dll but it can instead have it be a gen_*.dll.

As it really depends on the type of integration that you're aiming for but due to how things work a gen_*.dll can still add itself into the library window (is how the cd ripping is done from an input plug-in & the queue manager view from the JTFE plug-in which is a gen_*.dll) plus the library playlists & what you see is more of just a view of the underlying api that is used to get & manage them which works for any type of plug-in).

-dro

Benco

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 10:51:29 AM »
What I basically need is to be able to link a method to the events corresponding to the user creating/changing/deleting a library playlist. So if that can be done as a general plugin, that's ok, I already have an empty general plugin that compiles.