Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: MTP Issue  (Read 3093 times)

Kanzar

• View Profile
MTP Issue
« on: December 07, 2019, 12:57:59 PM »
EDIT notification: solution in second half of this post

OK so again, probably a PEBCAK error but I recently cannot effectively use the MTP plugin. Win10x64, Samsung S9+, build 4346.

When I plug in my phone, *normally* WACUP picks up the device no issues and it'll display all the tracks on both internal and external storage.

What I'm finding now is it will only pick up the internal storage, unless I've navigated into the external storage (using Explorer) before loading up WACUP. However, it will NOT find any of the media, and in fact, when using Explorer, all those folders appear empty. Unless I've "previewed" the directory using Explorer, it doesn't exist, and in fact it prevents Explorer from seeing it whilst WACUP is open. I have to close out of WACUP and reconnect my phone to see the files using Explorer.

If I haven't gone into internal storage, browsing in Explorer to it after WACUP has picked it up looks like this: https://imgur.com/a/uzYxmHJ
I've installed WACUP after completely removing the previous install in case I'd toggled something dumb... Tried different USB cables and ports also.
WTF have I done?

EDIT:

Remembered this was somewhat similar to another issue I had, aka "external storage not showing up in windows 10".

It's a known Android bug (???), documented here:
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/46315/not-all-files-are-visible-over-mtp
https://android.stackexchange.com/questions/134230/sd-card-not-showing-files-when-connected-to-pc

TL;DR PEBCAK, but at least this problem remembered the solution
Aside: why has this happened more times in the last month now that I'm on Win10, and never happened when I was on Win7? :(
« Last Edit: December 07, 2019, 01:16:46 PM by Kanzar »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: MTP Issue
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2019, 10:38:18 PM »
That's useful to know that MTP is still funky & i'll need to think about this when I proactively look at replacing the existing portables support - it won't be like for like (android/mtp/usb is probably the main things it'll be aimed to support).

As my first experience with MTP was with the nexus4 & trying to get Winamp's support at the time to work with it without crashing which helped resolve some issues but not all.

-dro