Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Modern Bento Touchscreen WIP skin  (Read 36515 times)

victhor

• View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
Modern Bento Touchscreen WIP skin
« on: January 03, 2017, 06:26:29 PM »
WIP - Teaser - Sneak peek.. you'll see there is a lot done already, the path is long and I've been with this skin last 6 months or so, but there is still too much to be done yet that I can't help but feel it's still a long way to go..

Anyway, I do think it's also a proper time to make it public somehow so I can get some feedback before going on.

The idea for the skin is born on the continuous request of a lot of people asking for a "larger Bento", because "labels are so tiny to see", "buttons are small", "my new resolution makes everything microscopic", etc. So, at first I just wanted to clear up the look of it to gain some legibility, so it came 2 first versions:

But it didn't seem enough, so I went BIG, although I knew the nightmare started exactly there...

From that point, I've just took Windows 10 proportions and adjusted buttons and labels to that, moving foward to make everything easier to access / read on high resolutions or touchscreen environments, so that's where I'm now:

totally WIP EQ and a sort-of Coverflow which probably won't stayed like this at all:

And finally a complete look, with the pop up Volume bar, double visualizer and expanded tab area:

My list of To-do and ideas is reaching 25 items already (raging from simple bigger notifier to a whole new implementation of features), I'll post it at some point if there is some interest.

Hope you like it and have enough patience for it =). Comments and observations are more than welcome.

PS: Sorry for the big images, please drag it to a new tab to see it completely or go to Right click > View image.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2017, 08:24:50 PM by dro »

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
Re: Modern Bento Touchscreen WIP skin
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2017, 07:45:25 PM »
and they say Winamp skinning is dead... this looks awesome  8)

and I think most know I'm not too keen on modern skins, so praise where praise is due!

-dro

Juanus

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2017, 08:51:05 PM »
Looks excellent!
I am not too keen on touchscreens but I want to buy one just so I can play with this!
Keep up the great work.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2017, 09:07:20 PM »
I'm not sure it'd matter if you're using a touchscreen or not with this skin based on it's screenshots as it seems to be about making it easier to see / use things irrespective of the input device (with the screen resolution being the driving factor to make things easier to find). At least that's how I'm seeing it :)

-dro

victhor

• View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2017, 11:45:46 PM »
I'm not sure it'd matter if you're using a touchscreen or not with this skin based on it's screenshots as it seems to be about making it easier to see / use things irrespective of the input device (with the screen resolution being the driving factor to make things easier to find). At least that's how I'm seeing it :)

-dro

Exactly, main intention is to solve the microscopic buttons & texts on higher resolutions while maintaining some familiarity with the use of Bento structure*, along the way, touchscreen input is improved too.

*When going so far (some objects are 3 times bigger), is inevitable to need some adjusting on main layout, that's why horizontal tabs went vertical, and EQ and Skin config are on the main area, among other changes.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2017, 12:32:22 AM »
Holy balls, this is amazing!

I wonder how you pull off the standart Winamp Modern skin, probably just as good as this new Bento Mockup :)
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

tucker973

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2017, 01:45:10 PM »
This looks great! I recently got a new laptop (Surface Book) and I have it driving a large 4k monitor, so I've been using the modern skin and scaling, but I would use this in a heartbeat.

victhor

• View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2017, 11:20:27 PM »
I wonder how you pull off the standart Winamp Modern skin, probably just as good as this new Bento Mockup :)

Actually I never thought about Winamp Modern skin, maybe I'll give it a go in the future..

And those screenshots are not mockups, those are actual working skins, that's why it took me so long! (on the 4th version there are billions of little invisible changes made on the scripts to change proportions).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 10:12:08 PM by dro »

synthetiq

• E Pluribus Unum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 11:54:26 AM »
OMG
Nice!
Bring it on!
Can't wait to test  ;)
Based in Lisbon/Portugal

ariszlo

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2017, 08:11:59 PM »
Good job, Vic! Carry on.

victhor

• View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2017, 11:32:55 PM »
Thanks a lot for the kind comments, I'm currently on vacations so I'm not really working on it.
But next week routine gets back on track (mostly, still have some relatives staying at home for another week) so I'll try to do some more work and have some progress to show.

ChriscomIT

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 02:04:41 AM »
Looks really great. Can't wait to test this when ready. Already enjoy using ur KomodoX skin actually! :D Keep the great work!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2017, 02:20:22 AM by ChriscomIT »

evil_pro

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 11:22:53 PM »
This looks wonderful. Really gives Winamp some sort of modern makeover.

victhor

• View Profile
    • Victhor Deviantart
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2017, 12:28:09 PM »
Thanks guys. I'm currently stucked with this one (several scripts are too tied in with each other..), but I'll eventually nail it..
In the meantime I'm about to release another skin which was 90% complete for the last 2 years or so.. ¬_¬  (now it's 99%, only need to adjust Color themes)
« Last Edit: March 20, 2017, 12:28:56 PM by victhor »

jrronimo

• Used an old skin.
  • Beta Tester
  • I like breakfast, sci-fi, and video games.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 05:03:12 PM »
Both of these skins look pretty fantastic. Thanks for your hard work! I can't wait to try them out.