Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Album Art plugin - show other filenames  (Read 10262 times)

ivars

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
Album Art plugin - show other filenames
« on: October 29, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
So I noticed that the Album Art window (gen_classicart plugin) does not always show the artwork, even I have it available in the album's folder.
So after some experiments I deducted that it only shows either the art that's embedded in mp3 file, or it will show the image that's in the folder named "cover", "folder", "AlbumArt" or "<album's name>".
But if there is no embedded image or no image file named as mentioned above, it will show a blank window. Even if there's an album art image in the folder, just named something else.

It would be nice to have an option for it to show an image form the folder with any other filename if those default ones are not available.
It would still make sense to prioritize, firstly the embedded art, secondly those specific filenames but if those are not available fall back on showing any image file that's available.

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Re: Album Art plugin - show other filenames
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2019, 06:15:04 PM »
...  but if those are not available fall back on showing any image file that's available.
no, this is not a good idea e.g. I have many images in such folder

ivars

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2019, 12:48:54 AM »
no, this is not a good idea e.g. I have many images in such folder

Well, as I was saying, it would still make sense to prioritize anything that's named "cover", "folder", "AlbumArt" or "<album's name>" but if there are none of those, ONLY THEN show just whatever image filename is available. I'd only assume that in 90% of cases those would be album cover art images anyway. Just different filename

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2019, 05:56:33 PM »
In the playlist editor > Info > you can use the artwork tab

ivars

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2019, 02:37:55 AM »
I'm not talking about tagging the files though. That's not really viable for large libraries.
I don't think that is relevant to my original post really...

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2019, 04:30:58 PM »
Hi ivars,

I use the default artwork windows in the classic and modern skins I use, instead of the "gen_classicart plugin". There are options in the WACUP Preferences (Options command on the main context menu) on the General - Album Art - Reading tab for selecting which images are shown. There is also an option at the bottom of this tab for selecting an image that will be used if none of the other images can be found. I don't know if these options override the options for the "gen_classicart plugin".
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system

ivars

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2019, 12:15:11 AM »
There are options in the WACUP Preferences (Options command on the main context menu) on the General - Album Art - Reading tab for selecting which images are shown.

Did more experimenting with this, having the gen_classicart plugin disabled.
The options are there, right what I want, right in the order that makes sense. BUT...
The last option, the one I want and that was the reason for starting this thread, just does not seem to work.
So it is
%filename%.<supported_file_format> in the containing folder

Which means "Any supported image with any filename" I assume, but it's not showing. As soon as I change the filename to "front", "cover" etc. it shows up, so it's not that the specific images were just unsupported because format, corruption size or anything like that...

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2019, 02:22:09 AM »
%filename%.<supported_file_format> doesn't do a wildcard match as you're wanting & is solely using the name of the file at the time & then matching to the image extensions supported (e.g. 05-36_crazyfists-anchors.mp3 would be matched to 05-36_crazyfists-anchors.png or 05-36_crazyfists-anchors.jpeg or 05-36_crazyfists-anchors.bmp or 05-36_crazyfists-anchors.gif).

By making the search too permissive it's too easy based on what I've seen over the years for people to end up with the wrong image being shown which often ends up being hidden images that other players / users have created. If it's just one folder & only the files that relate to that image then I see it making sense but there's a reasonable position to say it'd be better to correct the image filename so it can be matched by one of the existing options (e.g. album name) than trying to support a catch for all.

If I implement this, it'll have to be a default off feature as I'm more on the side of ensuring the files & metadata are correct than working around it.

Aminifu: that option will be used by gen_classicart since it only uses the artwork handling service for things & that plug-in is the one that is used for classic skins so you are using it (unless you're using something else if there's an artwork window under a classic skin) :)

-dro

Aminifu

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2019, 05:49:21 AM »
dro: You are correct, as usual. I am using your gen_classicart plug-in with my classic skins with WACUP. I also mostly use modern skins. One of the reasons I started using modern skins with Winamp (when they became available) was because they had artwork windows/panels and the classic skins didn't (Until your plug-in, which I never installed in my Winamp configuration. IIRC, the comments I read about the early versions were requesting more polishing.). I was happy to see that my classic skins with WACUP had artwork windows and I never looked to see how this was accomplished. :)

ivars: dro has a good point about hidden image files in your music folders that could prevent what you are asking for from working. The Windows OS uses WMP to create hidden image files from time to time. AFAIK, no one has been able to determine what triggers the OS to do this. I suggest you use the view options in Windows Explorer to temporarily enable hidden and system files. Then look in your music folders, you may be surprised to see all the various hidden images files that are there. Every now and then I look for them in the music folders on my computer and delete all I find, and after some time they or similar ones come back.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2019, 05:57:23 AM by Aminifu »
Windows 11 Home 64-bit v23H2
Logitech Z906 5.1 speaker system