Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: error when updating  (Read 10880 times)

pimento

• View Profile
error when updating
« on: October 07, 2019, 06:40:02 AM »
Twice now I've had issues when auto-updating WACUP, the first time I just uninstalled it and did a fresh install of the new build, now it's happening again. It's worked fine on one PC, but on this one not so much. I'm a local admin (and the only user) on both machines and they're both running Windows 10 at the same patch level.

Basically it says that there's an access error trying to write to winamp.exe. Last time I renamed it and it went further, but complained about a couple of other files instead. It's installed in the default installation folder.

pimento

• View Profile
Re: error when updating
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2019, 06:41:05 AM »
I just launched it again and it generated a crash log that I've sent off.

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 07:45:11 AM »
Have you restarted your computer?
It seems as though a dead process (that's somehow still active) seems to be locking access to them
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2019, 09:54:19 AM »
It gets restarted every day, not sure what process would affect it.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2019, 11:55:51 AM »
I don't know why it happens other than the OS / antivirus software messing up as seems to be the case from the others who've seen jt. There's nothing special I do to the files nor would intentionally locking them from update make any sense to do. I'll have a look at the crash report shortly.

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2019, 12:51:12 PM »
I've had a look at the crash report from the older build 4264 & something is blocking it from loading some of the core supporting dlls needed which causes the crash.

-dro

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 08:27:54 AM »
Well, I've no idea what was locking it - the only AV on there was the windows default one and there wasn't any other file access type watchdog on there, but that machine died last week, so... let's see how it goes on the new one.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2019, 06:20:18 PM »
*fingers crossed*

-dro

pimento

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2019, 06:52:46 AM »
I've a hunch that this was related to the previous issue I had where WACUP wouldn't load sometimes - I can report that that issue has gone away since the device replacement, and given than I'm confident that the updating issues will be resolved as well. Seems like there was something crappy going on in the old machine - I should have tried that windows reset thing but hey, it died anyway so oh well.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2019, 07:09:58 PM »
Well its not good about h/w failing but at least you're in a better position now :)

-dro