Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #18916 (April 18th 2024) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: First Contact / First Questions  (Read 7294 times)

DragonDwell

• View Profile
First Contact / First Questions
« on: September 24, 2019, 01:22:20 PM »
Hello everyone !

I've been using Winamp for a very long time now, as have many people here, I think.
I am pleasantly surprised to find this active forum.
I downloaded the WACUP Pack to test the new features.

I now have some questions (probably already answered somewhere in the forum, sorry for that).

I have my old Winamp v5.666 Build 3516 (x86) - Dec 12 2013
with French translation: v5.70 from Todae.

And I have the new 1.0.6.4234 WACUP.

The questions are:

- is there a French translation for WACUP?
- Can I transfer my playlist from Winamp to WACUP? As well as the lists of shoutcast radios?

Finally, I still use the "streamripper for winamp" plug-in which allows me to download locally all the tracks broadcast on a radio.
- Is this plug-in functional with WACUP, if so, how to use it via WACUP?

If all his questions have already been answered, I'm sorry, could you provide me a link to the answers.

Thank you all, good continuation, very happy to see that Winamp is not dead!

Sorry in advance for the English automatically translated ;-)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator
Windows 10 - 1903

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: First Contact / First Questions
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 01:43:47 PM »
There's no french translation for WACUP (localization support has been disabled for the time being)

Afaik if you installed over your Winamp install, then your playlists should be there, if you went with a seperate install, you can try the Winamp Backup Tool which you can find somewhere in the preferences page.

The streamripper plugin should still work, I haven't used it myself so I am only guessing.
The plugin should work the same as it did before in Winamp.
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 04:08:08 PM »
Hello & welcome :)

Migrating bookmarks & playlists has to be done manually at the moment - the goal is to allow installing over the top of an existing 5.666 install once the preview moniker is dropped.

Doing a full backup & restore with the Winamp Backup Tool will work but it will potentially break some required config changes between 5.666 & WACUP. Effectively you'd need to copy the winamp.bm8/winamp.bm & Plugins\ml\playlists folder from your 5.666 settings folder to the matching location in the WACUP settings folder (e.g. %appdata%\Winamp to  %appdata%\WACUP).

re: translation, it will return (like noted above it's hard-disabled at the moment) however with the amount of localisation changes that have been made, language packs from 5.666 will not be 1:1 compatible & changes would need to be made to update them.

I've not tested the streamripper plug-in for a while (probably 2017 was the last time) but it generally worked ok at that time though that plug-in ideally should see some updates but including a streamripper would leave me in an awkward position.

-dro
« Last Edit: September 24, 2019, 04:08:52 PM by dro »

DragonDwell

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 09:22:31 PM »
Hi,
Thank you for your answers -dro & -The1_Freeman.

WACUP looks very interesting. 

I will try to copy and paste Winamp's streamripper plug-in into Wacup.

For the playlists I will do it manually, it won't take me too long.

Good continuation, Thank you again for the quick return.

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 09:36:05 PM »
You should be able to just install streamripper via it's installer normally & just point it to the WACUP program folder - I can't remember what dlls it uses but manually copying some plug-ins can cause issues & so it's better to use the installer if one exists.

-dro

DragonDwell

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
Thks for the info about the Plug-in Streamripper.

Unfortunately I have difficulties with WACUP :'(.

This one crashes shortly after its launch. (1,2-10min).
I tried to isolate the problem (playling in ML or Setting, without changing anythings), see if it occurs during particular handling.
Unfortunately, the crashes appear random (most when i'm closing the Setting preference, or after looking a lot in ML).

I still feel like it's connected to the workload.

Before the crash, I observed the WACUP process with more than 280,000ko of memory.
With Winamp (without WACUP) this one uses about 70.000ko

In addition, I encounter display bugs with WACUP:
Scroll bar not visible in ML as well as color bugs. (Color mix between two Skins).
And some albums in ML doesn't show any Tracks after i clic on it.

I've got something like 30.000 elements (420Go) in the ML.

I found some crash report, should i send it to someone ?

Thank everyone for ur Help, Still LOVING Winamp ;-)

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2019, 02:55:40 PM »
I'll look at the crash reports later today. They can also be sent to bugs@getwacup.com (there should have been a note on the dialog if it couldn't manually send them).

With the track selection issue, that's not a WACUP specific issue & is a fault of the 5.666 local library plug-in (ml_local). However the 5.666 local library plug-in is one of the main cause of issues with WACUP (& to Winamp) when it comes to stability & is why there's a replacement plug-in but it's sadly incomplete (too many things to do & not enough time) which will be fully replacing ml_local once artwork & import support is implemented.

I can't really comment on the memory difference as things like the skin being used, how much data was read into the library, etc can cause differences.

When replacing lots of code, there's always going to be some bumps in the road & overall I think we're generally going in the right direction (even Winamp proper can do all of these weird failures) but the main thing is that if there are crashes that I'm informed as I can't really fix what I don't know about (this is more of a general comment for anyone reading).

-dro

dro

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2019, 05:17:38 PM »
I've just had a look at the crash reports & they're from the now prior build (#4234) so I don't know if it's just the timing of when you were trying things or if you'd missed that there's a newer build out (currently #4264 as of reply).

Both are showing a failure when trying to get artwork from a FLAC file (I can't tell which one) on import to the library. However it seems like something isn't right as ml_local appeared to be trying to initiate it's artwork cache which is disabled under WACUP due to other issues it causes & that's odd that it's trying to do that.

-dro