Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Parallel installation  (Read 6265 times)

dracoola

• View Profile
Parallel installation
« on: August 28, 2019, 09:38:40 AM »
hey there.

Windows 10

i installed WACUP parallely to a Winamp 5.666 installation on a different folder.
When i start Winamp first and then wacup, its keeping only the winamp.
When i start wacup first and then winamp, it keeps wacup startet.
how can i start them parallel ?

Eris Lund

• The Skin Guy, Official Modern Skin tech support
  • Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Eris Lund's Github
Re: Parallel installation
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 10:57:33 AM »
enable the "Multiple Instances" option in the preferences window in both (i think) installs, which should allow the two to run at the same time
Currently building the fourth (and best) incarnation of Classic Skins in Modern Skins
https://github.com/0x5066/DeClassified
Current maintainer of the WACUP version of Winamp Modern.
https://github.com/0x5066/WinampModernPP
I made that one skin that one time.
https://github.com/0x5066/Winamp2000SP4

dracoola

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 11:03:44 AM »
enable the "Multiple Instances" option in the preferences window in both (i think) installs, which should allow the two to run at the same time

perfect. i found that option in both.
;-)

Pawel

• View Profile
    • Pawel Porwisz
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 05:56:31 PM »
But, if you enable this option (Allow multiple instances) in WACUP you may have troubles.
-Pawel

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 06:23:21 PM »
There's a better option in changing the class name of the WACUP instance so it's different from the Winamp install. The only downside is if anything external is just looking for the Winamp class name but then running multiple installs at the same time is always going to have compromises.

Under wacup, go to preferences -> advanced -> portable mode -> click 'open paths.ini editor' -> change "Winamp 1.x" to something else (e.g. "WACUP 1.x") & save (you made need to run WACUP as an administrator just once to allow this to work depending on where WACUP installed).

Then you'll just need to restart the WACUP install (as a normal user if you had to elevate it) & then the two can be run side-by-side as that's how I deal with a dev install & another local install that is used for playback whilst I'm working on things.

-dro