Latest restricted WACUP beta release is build #18654 (March 24th 2024) (x86 & x64 changelogs) | Latest WACUP public preview is build #17040 (September 30th 2023) (x86 only)

NOTE: Beta testers are added in a limited & subjective manner as I can only support so many people as part of the beta test program to keep it useful for my needs.

Unless I think you're going to be helpful, not all requests will be accepted but might still be later on. Remember that beta testing is to help me & the limitations currently works for my needs for this project.

Author Topic: Bookmarks  (Read 5708 times)

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
Bookmarks
« on: May 10, 2019, 10:06:57 PM »
I use Windows 7 - When I first started using WACUP I saved/bookmarked several online stations. My original Winamp has 10x as many. I decided t could delete the winamp.bm file under WACUP and copy original Winamp's .bm file. As it turned out when I fired up WACUP the WACUP bookmarks are still there! I goofed. What's my fix?

-thx

MarkRH

• Beta Tester
    • View Profile
    • Mark Headrick's Website
Re: Bookmarks
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2019, 11:51:08 PM »
You need to go into C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\Winamp and then copy the following 3 files:

winamp.bm
winamp.bm8
winamp.bmc

Into: C:\Users\(username)\AppData\Roaming\WACUP

That should work. Just did here.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2019, 12:26:16 AM »
winamp.bm8 is the main file used (is UTF-8 encoded to better deal with non-english characters) whilst winamp.bm is the legacy file using the machine local for encoding which was being generated to maintain compatibility with very old plug-ins (there's a few other cases like that which later under WACUP I plan on removing being generated by default).

The winamp.bmc file is the categories (if applied) to the bookmarks. I had to do it in a separate file to avoid breaking code assumptions with the layout of the winamp.bm/bm8 files. so like mark notes, copying all 3 files is a requirement (subject to what exists in the other install) to do a full migration of the bookmarks.

Additionally they're just plain text files so you could depending on your needs copy+paste the contents for the files of one install into the other though that's not going to be work correctly with the bmc file (not unless you adjust the indexes of the copied entries & adjust the reported total catergory size in the file).

I need to look into having a mode that makes it easier to import certain settings from another Winamp/WACUP install. bookmarks, podcast feeds & playlists seem the commonest ones followed by local library & history databases.
-dro
« Last Edit: May 11, 2019, 12:26:51 AM by dro »

MourningStar

• Beta Tester
  • ... (-(-_(-_-)_-)-) ...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2019, 01:29:55 AM »
...That should work. Just did here.
Although there was no bmc file in winamp folder it does work - thank you.

dro

• Admin / WACUP Developer
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
    • WACUP (Winamp Community Update Project)
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2019, 09:45:50 PM »
If you've not categorised any bookmarks (which under 5.666 required manually installing a plug-in from me) then that's expected. Just mentioned it to clarify what the different files might be & why they're needed :)
-dro